Sign in with
Your question

8GB or 16GB

Last response: in Memory
October 12, 2010 6:04:07 AM

While 8gb of memory seems more than enough to me, I have a friend who recommended upgraded to 16gb. I questioned and said I rarely use all four gigs on my old desktop, why would I need 16? He said something about when actually rendering video you can utilize all your memory, however much, to speed up the process. (WARNING: I might have butchered what he said since I really didn't understand what he said <_<) So I am curious if that's true(or something like it) and if programs like Adobe Premiere automatically take advantage of more ram or you have to tell it to.

I currently use Adobe CS5 and when rendering video I still don't get near maxing out my four gigs. And the I7 Processors only use up to 8gb so how would 16gb of ram improve windows experience to rendering a video? Do I have to tell adobe to use memory?

Help appreciated!

More about : 8gb 16gb

a b } Memory
October 12, 2010 6:39:02 AM

I recommend 4GB for almost everyone,because its enough for all tasks.I only would recommend 8GB if you have lots of image/video editing pages opened at the same time, so 8GB is more than enough and there is no need to upgrade to 16GB IMO.
a b } Memory
October 13, 2010 9:46:01 AM

Vote for 8GB. 16GB is twice 8GB and that's only used for a machine running several virtual servers.
Btw, unless you're a Hollywood boxoffice movie editor that renders 30 minutes of 3D models animation at 2560x1920, you won't need that much.
August 27, 2011 5:05:35 AM

What if a person is running instances of games simultaneously and the time spent alt+tabbing matters a lot?
My brother runs few Jade Dynasty (mmo with great graphics) instances for different characters, and each one eats up to 1gb of memory on the 4GB machine - rendering it slow in general.
Would 16GB make a huge impact, or the difference between 8 and 16 is not at all noticeable in this scenario?
!