Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I7 860 review

Last response: in Motherboards
October 12, 2010 7:15:12 AM

Hello, I want to replace my motherboard MSI P55-GD55 . Its Control Center software (for overclocking, fan control etc.) never worked and continues to crash. What do you recommend? The chip is an i7 860. Works fine.

More about : 860 review

a c 135 V Motherboard
October 12, 2010 11:19:42 AM

Hello and welcome to the forums
Have you tried changing the settings from the BIOS ?
m
l
October 13, 2010 5:07:27 AM

Thanks. No, I've not done that yet. I looked over the directions from MSI for changing the BIOS and they scared me! There is a lot of potential for doing real damage and there's no guarantee that is the problem. Any suggestion for a safe way to change the BIOS.
m
l
Related resources
a c 135 V Motherboard
October 13, 2010 7:19:16 AM

Always make changes from the BIOS,not from a software(because of instability issues),check the Overclocking section in the forums and you'll find great guides there.
m
l
October 23, 2010 5:48:41 AM

I'm not suggesting a software fix. I was suggesting an alternative motherboard. Is this not a better approach since we don't know if changing the bios will work and because in trying to fix it the risks may end up messing things further? I would try the bios change only if I knew of a safe way of doing it.
m
l
October 23, 2010 7:46:49 PM

I think we're trying to solve different problems. I'm not trying set overclocking parameters, at least not yet. I cannot get the Control Center software to display properly so that I can control parameters from there. That software, which came with the MSI motherboard, just does not work. MSI recognize that is a problem and suggest I redo all parameters by first creating a pendrive and then reboot with a modified bios. I think there is potential there for doing real damage.
m
l
a c 135 V Motherboard
October 23, 2010 8:54:07 PM

Oh sorry for my misunderstanding.
Yes that's definitely risky,because modifying the BIOS is dangerous and if anything goes wrong,it may kill your motherboard.
m
l
October 24, 2010 4:03:27 PM

Then, do you accept my suggestion for the need to replace the motherboard? It was by MSI and comes with defective software, as I found out on forums after I had bought it.
m
l

Best solution

a c 135 V Motherboard
October 24, 2010 4:10:49 PM

Although the software may not be useful most of the times, but replace it.Because like you mentioned,the board has come with a faulty software.
October 24, 2010 7:42:26 PM

Best answer selected by AWZAP.
m
l
!