Norton Goback partitions...

Erik The Pope

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
I have two HDs that have Norton Goback partitions on them which Win 7 will not read. Disk manager sees them but won't let me do anything (all menu items are grayed out except delete volume which I DO NOT want to do since these drives have Grand Jury info on them. I'm sure some folks have had this problem & know what to do to make them readable. I have tried Ubuntu but it doesn't see them either. Partition Wizard sees them, that's where I learned they are Goback partitions.

Will writing a new MBR fix it? Any other ideas? My computer (homebrew quadcore, ASUS mb, 2 GB mem) is physically fine.

Thanks for any ideas!

tomatthe

Distinguished
Boot to an ubuntu live cd or winpe cd and you will be able to read the data on them most likely. I'm not to familiar with goback, but it seems like it probably has something built in to access the files on the hidden partition it creates as well.

Erik The Pope

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
When you restart the computer, you see the following options:

• 1. To unhook GoBack (for typical machines)
• 2. To repair the Master Boot Record (for typical machines)
• 3. To Load IDE (typical) CD-ROM Drivers and exit to the command prompt
• 4. To Load SCSI CD-ROM Drivers and exit to the command prompt

Type 1 and then press Enter.

The utility removes the changes that GoBack made to the boot sector and the partition table and further troubleshooting can proceed.

Should I disconnect the drive that Win & is on & just let it work on the problem drives?

Erik The Pope

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
I did get this solved. I downloaded a program from Norton which was designed to remove the GoBack stuff from the partition. I tried it (carefully) and it worked. Got all my data back. Thanks for trying...