Sign in with
Your question

Can not diplay drive files

Last response: in Storage
March 8, 2012 6:06:30 PM

from externial hard drive, drive letter displays, but can't open or display files/volumes. current computer running windows 7, old system was XP. drive is an iomega 120, usb connection, install disk was for windows 95/98. windows 7 help/trouble shoot not working on this probloem.

More about : diplay drive files

March 8, 2012 6:37:16 PM

Do you still have your old PC? If you do I would try to copy off all of the data you have on the external drive and then reformat it. From what I can remember with this external drive it sometimes had some mac formatting which wouldn't work with windows 7.
a b $ Windows 7
a c 119 G Storage
March 8, 2012 8:13:04 PM

You have mentioned four operating systems in your post , Win 7 , XP, 98 and 95 what exactly do you have / You have a computer with Windows 7 on it and you are trying to read an external disk that was written with a computer with XP, 98 or 95? Is your Windows 7 a 32bit or 64bit OS and is the other OS the same? In order to read those files the OS has to be the same.
Related resources
March 8, 2012 8:25:27 PM

I've never heard of 32 or 64 bit having incompatible disk formats. Can you plug the disk back into XP and go into disk management and check the format/partitioning? There may be some incompatibility with the partition scheme - like an extended partion containing other partitions or a dynamic disk.
March 8, 2012 10:29:38 PM

inzone said:
You have mentioned four operating systems in your post , Win 7 , XP, 98 and 95 what exactly do you have / You have a computer with Windows 7 on it and you are trying to read an external disk that was written with a computer with XP, 98 or 95? Is your Windows 7 a 32bit or 64bit OS and is the other OS the same? In order to read those files the OS has to be the same.

New computer runs win 7, old computer was xp, install disk for iomega was win95/98.
a b $ Windows 7
a c 119 G Storage
March 9, 2012 12:18:28 AM

Try going into disk management and see what it says about the external drive.
!