Sign in with
Your question
Solved

FurMark score stupidly low... help

Last response: in Overclocking
a b U Graphics card
December 13, 2012 4:50:47 AM

I have a XFX DoubleD 7950 core at 800mhz and mem at 1250mhz and i got a FurMark score of 1886. I see non oced non ghz model 7970s getting over 3360... I'm pretty sure the 7970 dosnt preform 56.4% better than a 7950. What the heck is going on???

~Thanks for reply in advance
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 13, 2012 4:57:43 AM

Furmark is BAD! Most AMD/nVidia cards now actually purposely throttle themselves when Furmark is ran. Try using Unigine Heaven as a benchmark if you want true results. Furmark is extremely hard on GPU's and put more stress than any gaming ever will. So AMD/nVidia have throttled their cards when they detect furmark is running. Unigine is a better benchmark anyway as there's more options to play with LOL Tesselation is awesome to look at in that benchmark.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 13, 2012 5:00:31 AM

steddora said:
Furmark is BAD! Most AMD/nVidia cards now actually purposely throttle themselves when Furmark is ran. Try using Unigine Heaven as a benchmark if you want true results. Furmark is extremely hard on GPU's and put more stress than any gaming ever will. So AMD/nVidia have throttled their cards when they detect furmark is running. Unigine is a better benchmark anyway as there's more options to play with LOL Tesselation is awesome to look at in that benchmark.
My card was running at 99% usage so it wasn't being throttled ? Sorry I'm knew at this...
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 13, 2012 5:09:22 AM

What I mean, the cards will actually clock themselves back to protect the hardware. I believe it's driver based but I know it even does it on my GTX550's. Furmark actually runs and my two cards clock down to about 700mhz. They normally are clocked at 1Ghz. Try searching unigine heaven and try that out. Then compare scores with that benchmark instead. Furmark just isn't good on the GPU.
a c 109 U Graphics card
a c 150 K Overclocking
December 13, 2012 5:10:39 AM

Yep! Run Unigine.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 13, 2012 5:18:59 AM

steddora said:
What I mean, the cards will actually clock themselves back to protect the hardware. I believe it's driver based but I know it even does it on my GTX550's. Furmark actually runs and my two cards clock down to about 700mhz. They normally are clocked at 1Ghz. Try searching unigine heaven and try that out. Then compare scores with that benchmark instead. Furmark just isn't good on the GPU.
Let me dl it and run it real quick. I'll post the results here after i run it.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 13, 2012 5:37:53 AM

I got 63 fps at 1080p with API: DirectX 11, Tessellation Moderate, Shaders High, Antisotropy 4x, AA 4x while in fullscreen 1080p.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 13, 2012 5:41:30 AM

amuffin said:
Yep! Run Unigine.
Are my results for a 7950 in Uningine Heaven normal for being at stock settings?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 13, 2012 5:54:08 AM

steddora said:
LOL that honestly is the craziest tessellation I had ever see look this bench https://dl.dropbox.com/u/81605106/heaven_2012_12_12_23_... Put my stock 7950 to its knees...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 13, 2012 12:48:15 PM

Best answer selected by helper800.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 13, 2012 8:27:23 PM

That sounds pretty good. Honestly tore my GTX550's a new one. With settings like that I only run about 40FPS or so. With the settings maxed out, I don't score very well.. the AA kills myGTX's 192-bit memory bus. But with AA completely off I don't score too bad.

And yes, Heaven is the best I've used in quite a while! :)  Glad you are happy now. And don't feel bad.. That setup even brings a 7970 to it's knees.
m
l
December 13, 2012 10:51:35 PM

How does kombuster compare to unigine? That's what I've been using and seems to work fine.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 13, 2012 11:58:24 PM

kombuster? I haven't had much experience with it. If you haven't tried the Heaven benchmark, you should for certain!
m
l
!