Sign in with
Your question

HAF X 360mm + 240mm radiators without modding?

Last response: in Overclocking
December 13, 2012 12:24:21 PM

Hello guys,
I'm building my first watercooled build and need some help. Here a few questions:
  • Is it possible to run on a HAF X two radiators (360mm and 240mm) without modding?
  • The MSI GTX 680 4gb/OC has a full waterblock?
  • Do I need the both radiators for cooling the CPU, GPU and mobo?

System specs:
    ASUS Maximus V Formula
    MSI GTX 680 4gb/OC
    i7 3770k (want to put it to 4.6GHz)
    Corsair 2x4gb 1600MHz
    December 13, 2012 2:07:50 PM

Yep, I've read all of them. But none of it really answered my questions... because all I find is results for the HAF 932 or another case.
    Feels bad for buying that case without thinking about watercooling. Would be much better with a 800D.
    But Lutfij, what do you think about putting a 360mm on the top of the case, on a pull configuration and a 120mm on the back of it, on a push? I'm looking forward for a silent build, so I hope that more rads with low fan RPM will do it.

About the water block, I've found nothing. Only for the MSI Lightning.
    m
    l
    Related resources
    a c 78 K Overclocking
    December 13, 2012 2:29:14 PM

here's what I'd do, find out what sort of rads I'll need according to my TDP rating, and then get to my case and compare measurements. I'll obviously exhaust all my options as buying a new case isn't for everyone, esp if you're one who just bought a case. Modding my case would be second option apart from having rad externally mounted, and buying a case would be my last option. In fact that last option might not even see the light of day.

guicoelho said:
    Yep, I've read all of them. But none of it really answered my questions...
    hmmm, well then where dya think most people understand how much radiator space they need? from a simple question or from some research? research material is already in the sticky mate, read it patiently though.

guicoelho said:
    But Lutfij, what do you think about putting a 360mm on the top of the case, on a pull configuration and a 120mm on the back of it, on a push? I'm looking forward for a silent build, so I hope that more rads with low fan RPM will do it.
    Honestly? I hate influencing people to buy this or that, however I'd encourage people to think of a theme/color scheme when picking parts, hand-in-hand with performance data's as aesthetics isn't all about having a nice rig.

yeah silent - um quieter setups will mean larger rad space and ofc maybe/maybe not having slow rpm fans like the AP-13's.

guicoelho said:
    About the water block, I've found nothing. Only for the MSI Lightning.
    look harder mate.
    m
    l
    a c 190 K Overclocking
    December 13, 2012 3:26:18 PM

Ill, Cba with witty comment today,
    http://www.overclock.net/t/985350/haf-x-red-star-360-ra...
    As suggested google is your friend, 'Haf x watercooling' press images, click links
    Cooling configurator has nothing for your card so email them with your details and the will check the card against their blocks for compatability
    http://www.coolingconfigurator.com/
    off to buy crap on Egay now to expand my loop, have fun
    **10 mins later, done**
    Moto
    m
    l
    a c 175 K Overclocking
    December 14, 2012 5:41:42 AM

You can definitely fit a slim triple rad in the top of the case, though if you want a push/pull setup you will need to sacrifice the top 5.25" bay. If you get a thick radiator then I don't think you will be able to push/pull the front end of it without sacrificing two bays.

You cant get a 240mm rad internally (assuming the top is taken by the 360mm), I suspect you would have to externally mount it off the back 120/140mm fan mount.

My watercooling build log in the HAF-X, suspect it will be useful.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/279384-29-water-cooli...
    m
    l
    a c 190 K Overclocking
    December 14, 2012 5:45:46 AM

Check the link I posted Chalk, 360 and 240 RX's in there :) 
    Moto
    m
    l
    a c 175 K Overclocking
    December 14, 2012 6:05:43 AM

I did, though he did have to take out the HDD bays which I would consider modding since you have to drill some pop rivets.

Maybe you could ghetto mount a 240mm in the two hot-swap bays and the bottom 5.25". Would require a bit of modding to do well, but wouldn't be as bad as losing all the HDD bays I think.
    m
    l
    a b K Overclocking
    December 14, 2012 6:35:25 AM

Just build a little mounting bracket over the psu on the bottom of the case and you should be good to go However you may need to drill holes in a few places,

I have room for a second a slim 420mm rad in my haf x as long as i do not mount a fan where the gpu sits.
    m
    l
    December 14, 2012 12:57:05 PM

Wow thank you for all the answers!
    Definitely I will try to do the 360mm on the top with the 240mm on the bottom of the case. And thequn, sorry but I couldn't understand where the 420mm would go.
    Now I just need to do some research for the waterblock... and for the silent fans >.<
    m
    l
    a c 190 K Overclocking
    December 14, 2012 1:17:40 PM

**I did, though he did have to take out the HDD bays which I would consider modding since you have to drill some pop rivets**

Now check my sigline hehe :p 
    jk mate, you know me lol,
    @Guicoelho, Qun means mounting the 420 on the inside of the windowpanel I think
    Half of watercooling is modding your situation to suit the loop you want, don't be nervous about it, we'll help as much as we can mate
    **Edit, waterblock, Xspc's Raystorm is a great block right now, I'll let you figure out the best speed fans for your rads once you decide what which particular rads you are getting, Fpi dictates the fanspeed you know
    Moto
    m
    l
    December 14, 2012 1:59:25 PM

Yeah Moto, your sig kind changed my mind about not modding hahaha.
    I thought about going with the XSPC AX Series. Good choice for silence?
    m
    l
    a c 190 K Overclocking
    December 14, 2012 2:13:48 PM

Overpriced imo, if you want them for aesthetics only then yeah, failing that its Rx all the way for fat rads, or Ex for the slim,
    the Ex's do like slightly higher pressure fans though,
    I run Gelid blue wings on my Rx and Xspc's 2k fans on my Ex's, half voltage on fan controller makes them 1k and quiet as you like
    Moto
    m
    l
    a c 78 K Overclocking
    December 14, 2012 2:36:20 PM

silent fans: in no order :) 
    scythe GT
    corsair SP's (but from what I've read apart from Overclock3D - are crap)
    yate loon
    enermax fans(but are a lil on the noisy side)
    bitfenix pro

rads:
    I personally like the AX's didn't shoot for the AX as I had already purchased the Alphacool Monsta 240. They are also a lil slimmer than the average RX rad and look good doing it. For that much, how much will a watercool mo-ra 1080 rad cost you?

if you really want an in depth waterblock review, Google: Stren's 2012 waterblock roundup :) 
    m
    l
    a c 78 K Overclocking
    December 14, 2012 3:06:07 PM

:)  my solution is $48 more... :lol:  guess good things don't always come cheap :D 
    m
    l
    December 14, 2012 3:26:54 PM

So I decided to go with AX rads with Koolance 380i (thanks Lutfij for telling me about the review). About the fans, I searched a lot and came to a conclusion: the Cougar Vortex is impressive! Not sure if I go with it or the Scythe GT.
    Moto, which fan controller do you use? How many fans?
    #EDIT
    Hahahahaha! One 1080 rad don't look like enough. Going to buy two of them.
    m
    l
    a c 78 K Overclocking
    December 14, 2012 3:29:32 PM

your welcome!

my take on fan controllers are:
    1| looks should equal perf or
    2| just buy one , set the dial and forget it exists.
    m
    l
    a c 190 K Overclocking
    December 14, 2012 3:30:35 PM

I use three Nesteq 8channel rotary units,
    and I have erm, 22 fans controlled by them, as well as 4x100mm fans on the gfx cards and a 120 modded over the waterblock, a 40mm on the Nb heatsink and the Psu's fan, so a few is the answer there :p 
    Moto
    m
    l
    a c 78 K Overclocking
    December 14, 2012 4:11:57 PM

you might want to experiment with using varying res and pump options. I didn't realize I needed a tank res until I my empty case cried out.

Modo would support the 750L pump/res combo, I'd go with something more powerful and leave me worry free when time comes to add stuff to the already amazing watercooling loop.
    *sticky should have a good amount of info on the sort of pump you'll need - its the what can my pump handle? + Choosing The Best Pump for Your WaterCooling System links in the pumps section.

**you should laugh, I laughed seeing so many people radding crazily and now I'm one of them. Makes me feel like I shouldn't have laughed :) 

***another good tactic is mix+matching hardware and from other e-tailers - should help keep your parts within your budget.
    m
    l
    a c 190 K Overclocking
    December 14, 2012 4:51:55 PM

Au contraire Lutster, I try and encourage the D5's for other folks, its just me that has the X20 750l thing, what with my third being delivered soon :p 
    Moto
    m
    l
    a c 78 K Overclocking
    December 14, 2012 4:55:58 PM

hoi! I didn't mean to rub the third pump purchase in your nose :)  just saying that you do advocate the X2O , which is good for people who are on a budget and don't want to add restrictive parts to loop.

Its ok mate :D 
    m
    l
    December 14, 2012 4:56:41 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
    Au contraire Lutster, I try and encourage the D5's for other folks, its just me that has the X20 750l thing, what with my third being delivered soon :p 
    Moto

So for this loop I should have no worries with this pump? ;) 
    m
    l
    a c 78 K Overclocking
    December 14, 2012 5:46:59 PM

what? wait? are you talking about the D5 pump dual bay res or the x2O pump bay res?
    m
    l
    a c 190 K Overclocking
    December 15, 2012 7:53:14 AM

I believe he's on about the X20,
    I'm just off to calculate my loops pressure now,
    **Edit, hey, turns out I can etch concrete with my loop :p **
    Moto
    m
    l
    December 26, 2012 4:44:58 PM

Sorry for taking so long to answer! Had some business to be done.
    I was talking about the D5 pump. It seems to be the perfect match for my system.
    And what about the tubbing? Bigger = More flow = Better, right?
    m
    l
    a c 78 K Overclocking
    December 27, 2012 1:19:43 AM

min should be 3/8" ID if going with a D5 pump. anything bigger in dia is the same just that any less than 3/8" and your adding restriction into the entire loop

scroll down a bit to read the impact of tubing size
    m
    l
    !