Optimize an OCZ RevoDrive 3 x2

layer8

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
I recently set up an OCZ RevoDrive 3 x2 PCI-Express SSD as my boot drive for my Windows 7 box. It seems to be running fairly well but as this is my first SSD experience, there are probably a few things I could do to enhance the performance that I'm unaware of. I've installed the latest drivers/firmware from OCZ, disabled Disk Defragment on the drive and downsized the page file to 1GB minimum and 2GB maximum (I don't have another available HDD to move the page file to unfortunately). Are there any other steps I should take to optimize the performance of this card? I did a quick benchmark of the drive using Crystal Disk Mark and it showed reads in 400MB range and writes in the 160MB range (I've seen other people get close to 1GB/s read/write). Any help is very appreciated. Thanks.

If you are getting those speeds for read and write then they are way off , you should be getting 1.5gb read and 1.2gb write. What slot do you have the Revo in? What is the motherboard? I had the Revo x2 and was getting 690 read and over 500 write and that was close to the listed spec's of that drive. You have the 490 driver and the 215 firmware? When I had the Revo installed it was as a storage drive and I had the OS on another SSD. I wonder if having the OS on it makes a difference. Do you have the latest bios loaded on the motherboard?
I also have the Revo 3 x2 which I will be installing tomorrow with Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit , so I will see what I get for read/write.
Have you posted on the OCZ forums to see if anyone there has any idea.

layer8

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
I have the Revo in the first PCI-Express slot (x16) on an Asus Maximus Extreme-Z Z68 LGA1155 board with the latest BIOS. I will have to check the driver version and firmware for the drive later tonight. If there is a firmware update available, doing that will wipe the drive, no? And no I haven't posted in OCZ forums, figured I'd start here first.

EDIT: The drive wouldn't recognize unless it was inserted in the first PCI-E slot (took me an afternoon to figure that one out, thought the card was bad).

They are claiming that a firmware update with thier new toolbox will not wipe out data and you will find more help with a revo drive there. Shouldn't you have your video card in the first Pci-e slot?
Unless you downloaded the driver fron the OCZ site then you don't have the newest driver , the cd that came with the drive does not have the latset driver.

layer8

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
I read that if you don't have the RevoDrive in the first slot, you won't get the maximum speed/bandwidth out of it (if you can even get it to recognize, depending on how picky your mobo is).

That's not true , I have used every version of the RevoDrive and am about to install the latest , I've used a x4 slot and a x16 slot and not once was it the first slot. On this motherboard I have tour x16 slots and have video cards in the first three so this RevoDrive will be going into the last x16 slot. The motherboard is going to default the slots to either x16 or x8 depending if the ajoining x16 slot is occupied. So on my motherboard it's x16 ,x16, x8 ,x8 and a x8 is going to give you almost the same bandwidth as the x16.

layer8

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
Ok well then nevermind, your experience supersedes mine with this card. My motherboard seems to be very picky as it would only recognize the card in the first slot. Also, I was reading here on the OCZ site and it says the firmware update cannot be completed if Windows is installed on the drive. And the Linux-based bootable tools will not work with the Revo 3. It looks like I may have to dig up another HDD to temporarily install Windows on so I can run the firmware update.

I would say that the driver is more important then the firmware so why don't you try that first.
If you had the RevoDrive in the first slot and it was recognized by the motherboard and you loaded Windows on it , can you then move the drive to another slot? The thing with a RevoDrive is that it does have trouble being recognized untill you load the driver on it. I had the drive in other slots and the Windows installer said I had no drive untill I hit the load driver button and loaded the driver off a usb stick , then the installer saw the drive.

qqqbatmansym

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012

Hi Inzone, were you using SLI on your Rampage III Extreme? I have the same motherboard and two 590 video cards. Just wondering how the speed was on your x4 slot?

chlova05

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
Not sure if this question deserve a new post so please let me know if so. I am having an issue with similar product. I have a RevoDrive 3 240 GB and Gigabyte z68ma-d2h-b3. The motherboard recognize my Revo but when I try to install window 7, it cannot find it. Can anyone help me with this?

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
i have a revo drive 3 and the issue i had encountered was when i had drive compression turned on for the drive reads were super fast but the writes were not much better then a standard hard drive.. turn off drive compression and re run the tests .

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009

start button left click on computer then go to disk manager and you will see it there you have to format it and after that you should be able to use it

chlova05

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010

Hey thanks man. I am working my head around this thing but I got it working. I just wonder if its because my lower end z68 gygabyte motherboard that is causing all this problem. I got my ssd to work but now all my hard drive (internally sata connected) can be disconnect like a external usb. Not sure what's going on there. Any clues?

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
that is the primary function of achi .. basically it makes the drives to where you can add them in and and or take them out after you mount them even when the system is up and running. works best for ssd drives and pci drives like the revo... and yea that drive is finicky when it comes to which slots you use and motherboards .. i bought a 240 GB revo drive 3 from amazon about a month or so for 149 dollars yea.. freaking awesome deal but i had the same issue as you although my motherboard a 890fx ud5 detected it right away ..

Mike Hummel

Honorable
Feb 13, 2013
I had no problems with the slot I put my drive in. First my graphics card, then the Revo Drive X2.
Thanks to this website and others, my installation went well.
This is a good starting point for reading, before installing the Revo drive.
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?94990-Some-tips-for-new-Revodrive3-owners
-----
I downloaded the OCZ toolbox;
http://www.ocztechnology.com/ssd_tools/OCZ_RevoDrive_and_RevoDrive_X2/

*You will notice in the bottom area where the download button is, some letters in BOLD. That is a provided link to the OCZ Bootable Toolbox - PC Edition. CLICK ON THE BOLD TEXT. ;)

Once in there, you will find plenty of information to get your system screaming!

eg; At the bottom of the very first post, One of the official staff members; Me&er, left some very useful links in tiny text, each link is numerated. Follow those links, to even more information about this awesome SSD setup.
-----
Here is a picture of my setup's report, from ATTO Disk Benchmark 3rd run.

3rd run_ with ATTO benchmark_2-13-2013 by M.D_Hummel, on Flickr

My system configuration:
EVGA X58 SLI motherboard
Intel Core i7 940 (Clocked to 3.8ghz) (With HT enabled, & Air cooled via Zalmans)
6gb of Super Talent DDR3 Memory(PC3-17000)
OCZ Revodrive 3 X2 240 gb
Thermaltake 1200 watt power supply
PNY Quadro K5000 graphics card
LG Lightscribe SATA R/W optical drive
Antec 1200 Computer tower
-----
Regards, and thanks to all for sharing lessons learned, and info with others. :sol:
Mike H.