PC no longer stable on Auto voltages

Maverick-j

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
Hi folks

I built my own PC last September and it's been running great on with NO overclocking and Auto volatges until recently, here is my setup:

Dual Boot sytems: XP 32bit & XP Pro 64bit
MOBO = MSI NEO-F MS-7360
current BIOS 1.A0
NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT
ANTEC 300 Case
2x Silent Eagle 1000 fans at front
1x Xigmatek fan at side
Vendetta 2 Cooler
Intel Core2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz, Revision C0
Maxtor 2B020H1 20GB IDE Drive
WDC WD3200JS-00PDB0 320GB SATAII Drive
Memory OCZ2T800C42G 2x 2GB 4-4-4-15 2T 2.2volts
PSU - Corsair HX520W

After installing Battlefield Bad Company 2 I experiance some BSOD so tried to Overclock my CPU thinking that it was just not up to it.

I couldn't get a stable overclock so reset everything to Stock, but now the system is unstable unless I increase the CPU Core Voltage to at least 1.28 or 1.30.

I noticed that the CPU temps were quite high so added the Vendetta 2 recently.

Can anyone shed any light on why my system will no longer run with an Auto Core Voltage?

I have run Memtest 86 for several hours with no errors and have reset the CMOS.

Speedfan shows the following voltages:

VCC3V: 3.38V
Vcore: 1.34V
VRAM: 2.32V
VChip 1.43V
+5V: 4.96V
+12V: 12.14V
VCC1.5V: 0.914V
VSB3V: 3.39V
Vbat: 3.25V

The system is quite stable with the higher vcore but I still get some random reboots and BSOD (MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION). occasionly it will crash on a cold boot

If I leave the PC on overnight it always reboots!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have cleaned the registry and should also mention that this problem exists in both operating systems.

Thanks

shawn157

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
I would say to keep them on the voltages. For the cause I would say a PSU or mobo ( That's a guess). Also sounds like you might have semi fried the cpu if it's needing more voltage to operate at normal clocks.

Maverick-j

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
OK,

Replaced the CPU with another E8400 but system still wont boot with auto voltages.

Think I will try a new motherboard next

Didn't want to increase the voltage of the new chip so put the old one back in for the time being. It now needs 1.43 Vcore for a semi stable sytem at 3.000mhz.

Still get random BSOD or Reboot.

Dont think its the PSU as is still performs well when gaming or watching movies and normally BSOD'd when left idle. Made no difference when I disconnected as much hardware as possible.

Maverick-j

Distinguished
May 3, 2010

Have done that a few times but makes no difference.

Just reinstalled everything about an hour ago, applied new thermal paste, removed mono to ensure pushpins were definately in correctly. reconnected all cables, checked motherboard manula for correct front panel connection setup.

System booted into BIOS no problem, set loaded optimized defaults but still wouldn't load windows on Auto voltage.

Only stable @ 1.4375v with Northbridge @ 1.55v everything else is on auto.

Am looking on ebay for a cheap motherboard to test on. any recomendations?

Thanks