Upgrading VAIO PCG-TR2A to XP Professional?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
August 20, 2004 7:44:49 AM

Hello,

I decided to upgrade my PCG-TR2A to XP Pro from Home that shipped with it. I
have XP SP2 Home running on the computer, and also have an install CD for XP
Pro that has SP2 slipstreamed.

I run Setup, and everything goes well until it finishes and reboots the
computer - then the bluescreens start. The error code I get is 0x0000007b,
which is supposed to mean an "inaccessible boot device". There's simply no
way to get the computer working with Pro. Restoring the backup I've made of
the Home installation makes the computer usable again.

I've found two relevant articles in the Sony knowledgebase: C38214 and
C239348. The first one mentions the exact same symptoms that I'm having and
the resolution is to use the same service pack levels on both the computer
and on the CD. (I'm doing just that.) The second is more vague and only
mentions that there could be problems upgrading from Home to Pro on a
recovery-medialess computer, and recommends copying the contents of the Pro
CD's I386 folder to the C drive and executing winnt32.exe from there - I'm
doing just that.

Truth be told, when I start winnt32.exe from Home, one of the first things
it tells me is that the computer has an unsupported mass storage device and
that I should press F6 and install drivers for it after the computer
reboots. I have no idea what kind of mass storage device it's talking about:
the computer has a relatively common Intel chipset. Nonetheless I have
downloaded and painstakingly unpacked the Intel chipsed & IDE driver setup
archive, but no dice - it does not contain any files that could be given to
Setup on a floppy (txtsetup.oem). (Yes, I unpacked the installshield cab
files and have more .inf and .cat files I could ever want.)

Any ideas?

-Marton
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 20, 2004 7:44:50 AM

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 03:44:49 +0200, "Marton Anka" <marton at 03am dot
com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I decided to upgrade my PCG-TR2A to XP Pro from Home that shipped with it. I
>have XP SP2 Home running on the computer, and also have an install CD for XP
>Pro that has SP2 slipstreamed.
>
>I run Setup, and everything goes well until it finishes and reboots the
>computer - then the bluescreens start. The error code I get is 0x0000007b,
>which is supposed to mean an "inaccessible boot device". There's simply no
>way to get the computer working with Pro. Restoring the backup I've made of
>the Home installation makes the computer usable again.
>
>I've found two relevant articles in the Sony knowledgebase: C38214 and
>C239348. The first one mentions the exact same symptoms that I'm having and
>the resolution is to use the same service pack levels on both the computer
>and on the CD. (I'm doing just that.) The second is more vague and only
>mentions that there could be problems upgrading from Home to Pro on a
>recovery-medialess computer, and recommends copying the contents of the Pro
>CD's I386 folder to the C drive and executing winnt32.exe from there - I'm
>doing just that.
>
>Truth be told, when I start winnt32.exe from Home, one of the first things
>it tells me is that the computer has an unsupported mass storage device and
>that I should press F6 and install drivers for it after the computer
>reboots. I have no idea what kind of mass storage device it's talking about:
>the computer has a relatively common Intel chipset. Nonetheless I have
>downloaded and painstakingly unpacked the Intel chipsed & IDE driver setup
>archive, but no dice - it does not contain any files that could be given to
>Setup on a floppy (txtsetup.oem). (Yes, I unpacked the installshield cab
>files and have more .inf and .cat files I could ever want.)
>
>Any ideas?
>
>-Marton

Slipstreaming will most likely solve that trouble:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,11036322~mode=fl...

Extensive SP2 bug list:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,10995560~mode=fl...
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 20, 2004 7:44:50 AM

>Any ideas?
>
>-Marton

PRO supports RAID. If it sees a memory stick card or similar item it
might believe it's another drive and it's requesting RAID or SCSI
drivers.
a b D Laptop
August 20, 2004 5:45:16 PM

Thanks Andrew!

Problem solved. It was a cd burner / cd emulator software on the computer
called Alcohol 120%. Removing it allowed the computer to upgrade to SP2.
(The software contains a virtual SCSI controller... for some reason Windows
got its panties in a bunch when it could not upgrade it.)

By the way, before I started uninstalling software, I called Sony support...
First I thought it was really, really cool - their voice recognition
software that's supposed to direct you to the proper department and relieve
their human operators of such mundane tasks as taking down the serial
number, etc, is awesome. It's fast, and it understands you very, very well.
It read back my phone number, the laptop's serial number, everything. Then I
got put through to a human who insisted on taking down the information
again. She couldn't get my name. She couldn't get the serial number. She
couldn't get "CompUSA". 90% of the call was wasted with this. Then she told
me that "Sony does not recommend upgrading the operating system". I said
bullshit, and quoted their website that clearly states that laptops mfgd'
since a certain date are upgradeable. She put me on hold for a chunk of
time, and came back with the same canned answer, as if she didn't realize I
already proved her wrong. We went back and forth for a little while then I
got really, really frustrated and hung up.

What gives?

-Marton
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 22, 2004 1:06:36 PM

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 13:45:16 +0200, "Marton Anka" <marton at 03am dot
com> wrote:

>Then she told
>me that "Sony does not recommend upgrading the operating system". I said
>bullshit, and quoted their website that clearly states that laptops mfgd'
>since a certain date are upgradeable. She put me on hold for a chunk of
>time, and came back with the same canned answer, as if she didn't realize I
>already proved her wrong. We went back and forth for a little while then I
>got really, really frustrated and hung up.
>
>What gives?

That is the standard Sony response - in their opinion, the only
acceptable upgrade is to throw your current laptop in the trash and
buy a brand new Sony. They've been that way since I bought my first
VAIO back in '97. They've been cowed into offering a few upgrades here
and there, new drivers and OS upgrade drivers, but it's grudging.
My personal favorite is when they'd tell you your Windows 98 laptop
wasn't "designed" to run Windows 2000 and you'd have to buy the
different model. They could point to no hardware difference between
the two models - there wasn't one. Only reason you couldn't install
W2K was they wouldn't give you the drivers.
There are usually workarounds for Sony's poor support, but few
models are worth it. I went through this stuff for the Picturebook,
which is still a great weapon for the serious road warrior in my
opinion, but the TR5 and other models? Nah, not for me.
Emanuel
!