Sign in with
Your question

Computer Restarting while playing games?

Last response: in Overclocking
December 13, 2012 5:17:07 PM

Hello first time user here and I hope that this is the right place to post this.

I am having a problem while playing games, not sure why but my computer keeps restarting while I play games and only games.

Here are my computer specs.

CPU- i7 - 980x Extreme Edition
MB- Gigabyte GA-x58a-ud3r v1
Ram - Patriot Memory 1600 (12gb Total)
GPU - MSI R5850
PSU - 700 Watt pulled from about a 2 year old Alienware Desktop

My idol Temps are as follows.

Motherboard 34 °C (93 °F)
CPU 31 °C (88 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #1 37 °C (99 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #2 35 °C (95 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #3 34 °C (93 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #4 34 °C (93 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #5 38 °C (100 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #6 33 °C (91 °F)
North Bridge 46 °C (115 °F)
GPU Diode (DispIO) 36 °C (97 °F)
GPU Diode (MemIO) 34 °C (93 °F)
GPU Diode (Shader) 36 °C (97 °F)
WDC WD5000AAKS-00YGA0 37 °C (99 °F)

Voltage Values:

CPU Core 1.056 V
+3.3 V 3.344 V
+5 V 4.973 V
+12 V 12.049 V
VBAT Battery 3.088 V
DIMM 1.792 V
GPU Core 0.950 V
Debug Info F 0226 0358 0255 FFFF 0000
Debug Info T 34 31 46
Debug Info V 42 70 D1 B9 33 BE 1E 84 C1

My CPU temps get up to around 40-50 C
My GPU Temps get anywhere from 50-60 except for the GPU Diode (Shader) which gets to low 70s to the 80s.

I have recently changed the settings in my GPU AMD OverDrive and disabled the OverDrive but I have the fan at 50% and it seems to let me play games, I have been playing/lettting the game sit for about 2 hours now and it has not restarted on me.

I am not really to computer savvy so I am sorry if there are some things missing that I would need to include.

What could be the problem? After reading a lot of posts I have considered it being the PSU but I am not really sure since I just disabled the OverDrive and the game seems to be playing fine. The computer would restart usually before 20 minutes but it is now going strong for 2 hours.

I will continue to check on the forum and continue to post here as I test this out more.

Thank you for your help and insight.

-Kaleb
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 13, 2012 8:40:21 PM

Sounds like the GPU is overheating. I've never personally had a computer restart from one overheating; but I could imagine it "could" be possible. Usually I just have had some really nasty artifacts that required a reboot.

Try setting up a fan profile on the GPU and make it more aggressive. Make that fan do it's higher speeds at lower temperatures and see if that fixes the issue. I have had cards that just needed more fan in the case I was using as they weren't the "Best" ventilation. I'd suggest having it run at full speed after 55C or so. If that fixes the issue; you know what's causing it.
m
l
December 14, 2012 3:23:44 AM

Thank you for your help, this is what I have come up with so far.
The problem won't happen if I have my GPU fan turned up to 80% or more while playing games.
Is there something that I can do to help that? I do not know if that will be healthy for the card running the fan like that, if it is then I will leave it. What would you suggest I do?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 14, 2012 4:28:02 AM

Sounds like you have an overheating problem. How well ventilated is your case you have? It makes me think you may have low airflow. If you don't have any fans in the machine other than the CPU fan, GPU fan, and power supply fan; you need to upgrade your cooling. See what your case has for options of adding fans for more airflow through the case. If you have to run that GPU fan that high; there is definitely a problem. Also, have you blown your gear out with compressed air lately? It could also be a dust issue as well. There's definitely a heat problem though if running the fan that hard is solving the issue.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 14, 2012 4:42:33 AM

Are all the fans working properly? Are you using the front and side as intake and the top as exhaust? How hot does the exterior of the case feel while it's running?
m
l
December 14, 2012 4:43:40 AM

EDIT: The front and the side are intake and the top is exhaust.
m
l
December 14, 2012 4:44:46 AM

Yes, they are all working and the case feels pretty cool MOBO side is about room temp and the other side is a little cooler.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 14, 2012 4:59:17 AM

That's not good then. I'd update the drivers for that GPU and set the fan up for an automatic scaling profile. There's some reason behind it acting like that, and I'm going to guess it's from the "shader" temp you showed me. Like they always say.. if it looks like a carrot, smells like a carrot, tastes like a carrot? Must be a carrot!

If you have a spare GPU laying around; I'd test with it in the machine. If it's STILL doing this, it could be the GPU overheating and having too much power usage and your power supply just isn't taking kindly too it and it's being problematic. If it doesn't have the problem; the GPU is the problem.

By the way, is that a reference cooler on the GPU? If so, those things seem to eat up and hold in dust a LOT worse than non-reference coolers. That could be an issue as well.
m
l
December 14, 2012 5:04:58 AM

Well, I thought I had if figured out but out of no where my computer just restarted itself again.
I am not sure what a reference cooler is.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 14, 2012 5:16:01 AM

Reference coolers basically look like a box with a blower inside. Here's an example.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That's a reference style cooler for the eVGA GTX670. They work, but "non-reference like this usually perform a lot better, not to mention are a TON easier to clean.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I haven't had much luck keeping any reference style coolers clean over a long period of time. My old 8800GTS had a reference cooler and I had to pull the thing apart every 3-6 months just to keep temperatures within acceptable ranges. I know the 8800GTS was a hot GPU, but the dust it'd collect just couldn't be blown out with the shroud on it.
m
l
December 14, 2012 5:23:13 AM

Oh okay, mine is a non reference cooler.
New temps now that I switched the GPU to automatic fan
Both GPU Diode 62C DispIO and MemIO
GPU Diode Shader 80C
m
l
December 14, 2012 5:29:05 AM

And it happened yet again.
m
l
December 14, 2012 5:46:59 AM

Going to take off the side panel and put a fan on it and see what happens.
m
l
December 14, 2012 6:40:13 AM

Took off the side panel and put a fan blowing into it and enabled OverDrive and it restarted within 10 minutes.
Turned off OverDrive and it is going good but I am tired and do not have time to continue tonight.
Will continue testing tomorrow, so far it sounds like a Overheating issue.
m
l
December 15, 2012 8:09:05 PM

SOLVED the RAM was not set to the right voltage for some reason in the BIOS. Was set to 1.5 and I needed it at 1.65
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 15, 2012 8:35:58 PM

That was the problem?! And it ONLY happened during gaming? I had 2.2v DDR that refused to even boot at under 1.8. I would have NEVER thought of that, considering the gap. How didn't you have any issue without gaming? I have had sticks of ram going bad that would crash opening internet explorer but run all day during a game...

All I can say is WOW! I'm glad you figured out the problem bud! I can honestly say RAM is the hardest thing to understand sometimes as the problems can be something incredibly stupid to where the PC won't boot. Now get gaming bro! :) 
m
l
!