Transcend pen drive cannot format write protected

Crimsonshadow

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
You can do two things, first of all scan the drive for viruses. Some viruses have been known to cause a drive to be write protected and can make it a pain to access your files. If that doesnt work you can format your stick by going in to "My Computer" finding the thumb drive, right clicking and clicking the format option. If it wont allow you to do that, I really dont know what to do.

jayant gaikwad

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

1. Shutdown your computer or laptop
2. Insert USB Memory Stick into your laptop or Computer
3. Turn on laptop and then immediately start pressing (F8) key then Advanced Boot Options screen will come up
4. Select Safe Mode with Command Prompt
5. After loading files if your USB Memory Stick drive letter is (G) for example then write as
6. C:\windows\system32>G: and press enter
7. G:\>format G: and press enter
8. If ask you (Y/N) then press (Y) and press enter
9. Now a full format will start which remove write protection from USB Memory Stick.
Note:
Before removing USB from your computer, Always remove it safely by going into to my computer then right click on USB and click eject.

G

I have a Transcend 16Gb pen drive and around 2 weeks ago my laptop began not reading it for some reason. I tried running the "chkdsk in Command Prompt" fix and had previously had success with an iOmega ex harddrive but when i used the same process on my Transcend i keep getting a volume corrupted error message. I have narrowed it down to my McAfee antivirus and then uninstalled it and intstalled Free AVG. Something i should of done a long time ago i might add!!

This has lead me to giving up and trying to format the drive so as i can change back from my drive now reading a Raw file system to NTFS. I have tried your option above but i'm getting a message "The volume does not contain a recognized file sustem. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted".

Any help would be great!

Madhukar Karangi

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013

abirtj

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013

Hey i had the same problem with sandisk pendrive......they (sandisk customer care) said this happens when an error has occurred in your drive and the it becomes WP as security measure......maybe transcend also has the same feature. They were unable to fix my drive....all 16gb lost.......so u can try the cmd prompt method or use a 3rd party soft to un-protect it but if it does not work, better replace it :(

try these:
http://www.ghacks.net/2011/03/18/how-to-enable-write-protection-of-usb-devices-under-windows/
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Security-Related/mUSBfixer.shtml

Mostaga

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014