Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Sp or af

Last response: in Overclocking
December 13, 2012 8:02:40 PM

If I were to swap out fans on a heatsink, should I go for airflow or static pressure?? Also howwould I differentiate an airflow fan from a static pressure one??

PS I love this forum, it's soooo alive. Im glad I signed up here

More about : question

December 14, 2012 11:08:45 PM

static pressure as you need to push air through the fins of the heat sink,personally I'd use corsair Sp 120 or for a budget wise nearly same performance (though material is less sturdy) I'd go for a coolermaster sickelflow .

Most leading manufactures sites show the static pressure,tho as linustechtips showed corsair are most accurate in the model specifications.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uUXt7mE6Qg

Cheers mate. Happy xmas and a happy new years.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 14, 2012 11:18:27 PM

It kind of depends on the heatsink in question.

If you are using it on a case with filter higher static pressure can help, but if it is just a honeycomb style vent, you do not need a powerful fan, you just want to move more air.
m
l
Related resources
a c 150 K Overclocking
December 14, 2012 11:31:01 PM

Depends on the heatsink...
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 15, 2012 2:48:02 AM

I have had excellent success with my Hyper 212 with a pair of 110CFM fans on it. For a more "Dense" type of heatsink I'd definitely recommend static pressure. The less room for that air to flow; the harder it is to push through. The static pressure being higher helps eliminate that issue.
m
l
December 15, 2012 4:20:06 AM

cooler is gonna be hyper 212 evo, so how can i tell if a fan is best for cfm or SP?? most fans on most sites like newegg have no mention of static pressure
m
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
December 15, 2012 4:37:08 AM

You'll have to search for the manufacturers page if it doesn't have the ratings on newegg. However, the fin width on the 212 is quite good, so I don't see it making a huge difference. Honestly, when I crank my pair of FM 121's they sound like a jet engine and make it impossible for me to hit 65C no matter what I do at 4.4Ghz ~1.25v load temp.
December 15, 2012 12:05:13 PM

I'm gonna do corsair sp's on it, since I'm filling my case with them and af's
m
l
December 24, 2012 10:56:50 PM

Best answer selected by sfvirgo86.
m
l
!