Your question

Updating an old homebuilt

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
February 25, 2010 6:24:11 PM

Hello all.

I was wondering if anyone could help me here, my brother reccomended this place. I put together a homemade computer a little over a year ago, and my machine is now showing its age. Rather than spend another $1000 on a new homemade computer, I was wondering if I could add in new parts to give it a new lease on life.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 1+ year ago

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, internet, work

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Well I have a mouse, keyboard, lcd monitor...

PREFERRED WEBSITE FOR PARTS: newegg.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: I suppose AMD is nice

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Would be great if the latest games my computer is capable of running didn't crash after running for 10 minutes.

So here's what I have on my machine:

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3700+
2.21 GHz
2.2GB
256.0 MB Ram
ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x7280)
Realtek High Definition Audio
Windows XP Pro (Build Service Pack 32600)

Let me know if I should add anything else to this list.

More about : updating homebuilt

February 25, 2010 6:34:29 PM

Oohh, that thing is seriously outdated. Do you know your model number for your motherboard? It would tell us whether you're able to upgrade your processor or not on your current board.

It would also be good to know exactly video card you have too. The (0x7280) tells us chip type i believe, but not the type of card.

To check both, go to Start->Run then type dxdiag. System Model is your motherboard model, and your graphics card will be under the display tab next to "name".
m
l
February 25, 2010 6:44:45 PM

Also how much are you willing to spend on upgrades? Since you already have a monitor and stuff, replacing mobo, processor and gpu might not be too bad.

Of course you have to watch out because if your copy of windows is OEM you'll have to get a new copy of that as well because it's linked to your motherboard.
m
l
Related resources
February 25, 2010 9:29:36 PM

Well, as far as spending goes, I'm hoping it's not too much considering that what's new today gets outdated every 2.2 years.

My videocard is a Radeon X1950 Pro, and next to System Model is "System Product Name." However, I have the box the motherboard came in, and it says: "A8R32-MVP Deluxe."
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 25, 2010 10:05:24 PM

Well you can get something alot better than that from AMD with a fairly budget build. (i.e. alot less than 1K)

I question how the heck you got this 939 socket mobo a year ago.

The only thing I'd upgrade if you really wanna stick with that board is a 939 athlon 64 x2 3800+. That would get you a dual core and let you use the rest of that graphics card. This would run you about $60-100 depending on what you can snag it off of ebay for.

Or you could do a cpu/mobo/ram for like $200-300 depending on how much of a mobo, how much RAM, and preferably a Athlon II x3 CPU. And depending on your power supply. And this would smish the dual core too.
m
l