Sign in with
Your question

New video card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 15, 2010 7:04:52 PM

hi, i'm about upgrading my graphics card, but i'm faced with a couple of problems.

currently using a 9800gtx+ :

1. was thinking about getting a 5850, but there's a very high chance it would
not work on my motherboard.(p5n-e SLI), Even though i did some searching the bios updates was
suppose to fix this problem and yet people are still having this problem

2. i can also get a 275gtx. Now i know the 5850 is a better card, but it might not be an option
heres the 275gtx:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

3. Or i can always get a older mobo that works with the 5850 along with a new windows 7 OEM OS.

what should i do? i dont feel like shelling out too much money for upgrading :( 

More about : video card

a b U Graphics card
February 15, 2010 8:06:47 PM

What kind of problems are people with your mobo experiencing ? I have never heard of this issue, are you sure it isn't just fanboy rants against ATI graphics on a Nvidia Mobo ?
m
l
February 15, 2010 8:15:10 PM

i google'ed up "p5ne SLI 5850" 1st result lead me to ASUS forums where theres a couple of pages regarding the issue with the 5850 and the p5ne.

edit* i believe the issue is the card not booting up the pc at all, while those with the problem have tested it out on other mobos and ran flawlessly
m
l
Related resources
a c 376 U Graphics card
February 15, 2010 8:22:02 PM

Well if the HD5850 isn't an option and your board is SLI you could just get another 9800GTX+. It will be cheaper and perform better than a GTX 275.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2010 2:12:52 PM

Well, I don't open every thread on Toms.....
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
February 16, 2010 2:22:52 PM

Annisman said:
Well, I don't open every thread on Toms.....

Perhaps not but seeing as how you were so quick attribute things to fanboy rantings maybe you should.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2010 4:33:38 PM

You have to admit, if *you* had no prior knowledge of this issue, that it might come off as some kind of noob hardware mis-information, I mean we all see threads like:

Will my 9800GX2 work in a Crossfire only mobo !!! OMGZ

Is it true that my 4870X2 won't work on an Nforce mobo!!! HAXORZ1!

Will I break my computer if I switch from ATI to Nvidia!!! ROFLCOPTER/

My point is that the OP has an SLI motherboard, and claims that an ATI video card has compatibility issues, which rarely ever happens, I mean how many times does a modern motherboard not support a video card?

Without looking up further information on the issue, it does, in fact look like it could be some kind of misinformation being spread, of course as others have actually looked into this situation, that is not the case.

I am not going to personally look up every issue a poster has to see if it is legit. unless I feel I can give a good answer to help that person.
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
February 16, 2010 4:47:41 PM

I have been watching the steady rise in the number of people reporting isues with the 5 series cards on this and other forums so I know that there is some truth to the OP saying that some people think there are compatibility issues with NV chipsets but as there are so many different configs all with similar problems the chances are that it's got nothing to do with chipset compatability.
m
l
!