Sign in with
Your question

Newegg system HTPC

Last response: in Systems
February 25, 2010 6:32:32 PM

What do you guys think about this deal from newegg as a HTPC.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?I...

I figure add a PSU and you are ready to go for a bit over 200. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

More about : newegg system htpc

February 25, 2010 6:47:32 PM

As long as you understand the PSU in the case is junk, then it seems OK.
m
l
February 25, 2010 9:06:19 PM

Also, don't forget you need a heatsink/fan for that OEM processor.

-Wolf sends
m
l
Related resources
February 26, 2010 12:02:05 AM

Do you really want a HTPC thats bright red? I mean... its cool if its hidden--but if you want to put that thing in a living room.... I would get kicked out of my house if I tried to do that.
m
l
February 26, 2010 12:03:04 AM

Also, I am now somewhat embarrassed that I just offered style advice on a tech blog.... lol.
m
l
February 26, 2010 5:32:06 AM

deadlockedworld said:
Also, I am now somewhat embarrassed that I just offered style advice on a tech blog.... lol.

It's OK, we were all thinking it ;) 
m
l
February 26, 2010 8:24:17 PM

That is a good point, It might be a decent combo system but factor in the giant blue lights and florescent red front panel I may have to kick myself out of the house. Hmm, gotta get a heatsink as well, well they dont have to be too pricey, I think I'm might be better of just building from scratch, usually more fun anyway. But thanks for the tips.

on a tangent, I think it was a newegg reviewer who mentioned the brightness of it as a HTPC in there living room so you guys werent the only ones. Thanks for the tips.

If I put something together I'll put it up for review if any are interested in checking it out.
m
l
February 26, 2010 8:31:23 PM

If you don't mind a tower and are just using mATX, I strongly recommend the CM case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It's basic but it has everything you need and does not look cheap. Good cooling and quiet.

I put a friends machine in one, added an OCZ500SXS and an extra Scythe fan and it's very quiet... perfect for HTPC.
m
l
!