bjmilbrandt

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
Hey everyone,

This is my first post to this website, so hopefully I'm doing this right (this might be the wrong category/sub-category). I'm not the greatest with computers, but I do have some basic understanding of computer lingo and making some changes to the system. However, I have run into an issue that I can't work around: BluRay movies have choppy playback after about 10-15 minutes of normal, smooth playback. The choppiness is also accompanied by audible sounds from the computer tower that sounds like the BluRay drive is struggling to read the disc. This choppy playback continues until I pause the movie and allow the video to load for about 15 seconds, which allows another 10-15 minutes of smooth playback. The computer I bought (just three weeks ago):

HP ENVY H8-1420T
Windows 8, 64-bit :-(
3rd gen. Intel i7-3770 quad-core processor [3.4Ghz, 8MB Shared Cache]
8GB DDR3 - 1333MHz SDRAM [2 DIMMs] --> upgraded to 16GB total (with G. Skill Ripjaws X Series 2x4GB)
1TB 7200rpm SATA III drive
2GB AMD Radeon HD 7570 (running two HD monitors, one of which is actually a 32" 1080p 120Hz Sony TV)
460W Power Supply
Blu-Ray player
Beats Audio Sound Card :-(
The software I am using for playing the BluRay movies is Cyberlink PowerDVD (10.0.1.4319).

What I've tried already is completely re-installing the Cyberlink PowerDVD (and all other associated programs), using VLC media player, and adjusting the sound card output on the Beats Audio control panel. The changes I made to the sound card was first decreasing S/PDIF and then "turning off" the Beats Audio. (I'm not sure if that could actually make a difference, but I found something in another forum about how the Beats sound card was slowing down somebody's computer.)

I've updated all the drivers for the video card and this also has had no obvious effect.

So now I'm not sure what else to do to fix this playback. Some options I have been considering (and I'm not sure if any of these would be worthwhile) were to:
1) overclock the CPU (and probably looking into improving the cooling of the CPU)
2) buying a second video card to separately run the second monitor
3) buying a different sound card (if the sound card might actually be the problem)
4) buying Cyberlink PowerDVD 12 (which I would hope isn't the issue)

I already called into HP, but (as expected) were completely unhelpful throughout the entire call, transferred me a few times, and eventually just gave up, saying they would "research the problem and call me back." I really do not want to deal with them again, so I was hoping this site could help me out. I've referenced this website several times in the past to fix issues, but didn't even consider posting until now (stupid oversight... I should have started here).

Thanks!

thequn

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2012
Hi have you attempted to try a DVD in the same drive or another blue ray movie.
also is the blue ray player connected with a USB cable,SATA cable or E-sata? If SATA is it the new 3.0 or older 2.0 spot.

As for sound cards I not used one in around 8 years I just use on-board sound these days. however I have herd the same rumors about sound issue in windows 8. a quick fix is to uninstall any sound card and driver to see if it plays correctly while is not there. then you can troubleshoot from there.

In my option it seams like a BAD Blue ray drive.

bjmilbrandt

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
Thanks for the reply... I am actually having a difficult time finding the driver/firmware for my model BluRay drive. It keeps sending me to third party (questionable) sites. Since I am always worried when I have to download drivers from sites other than the manufacturer's, I don't really feel confident in looking for it. It is the "hp BDDVDRW CH28N" and I can't find a single thing on the hp website about this drive other than forum posts. Strange...

bjmilbrandt

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I played an entire DVD all the way through without the slightest hickup.... I even had Netflix and a few other things going at the same time. So I'm having a hard time believing it would be a bad drive since the drive would read a DVD like normal, but I could definitely be wrong. I've also tried about ten different Blu Ray movies (most of which were brand new / out of the package) and all of them had the same choppy playback issue.

The player is hooked up with a SATA cable and it is fed into a port labeled "SATA2", but I get the feeling it is simply a labeling system for the different ports and not indicative of the type. (Sorry, but I couldn't attach a picture.)

-The top left (darker blue) is labeled SATA0 (I think this is what it said... the spaces were very confined and I couldn't completely see the entire labeling) and has my SATA3 HDD plugged into this port
-The top right (beige) is labeled SATA1
-The bottom left (lighter blue) is labeled SATA2 and has the BDDVDRW drive plugged into this port
-The bottom right is labeled SATA3

So if I attempt the uninstallation of the sound card to trouble shoot, would I need to uninstall just the Beats Audio driver or the normal one as well? Sorry, that might have been a silly question to someone who knows computers, but I just get nervous when I have to delete any of the "baseline" programming on a computer.

Thanks for all the help!