Trying to install after-market cooler on my 4870 1GB: Help!!

ckaz

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Ok, so I have the Sapphire Vapor-X 4870 1GB card. I decided I wasn't happy with the vapor-x cooler, and went for an aftermarket cooler. I now have the Scythe Setsugen sitting in front of me and I am totally confused.

Here you can see all of the parts that came with it
Setsugen_Accessory_01_002.jpg

So there are those heatsinks, plus the heatsink for the chip itself.

Now, the manual is fairly un-descriptive, so I am not sure what goes where.

So far, I have figured out that these silver heatsinks go there.
DSC00049.jpg

Now, there is one part of the card that had a heatsink on it with the vapor-x, but I can't seem to find its replaement with the supplied setsugen parts. I tried just leaving that old heatsink on there, but it wouldn't fit with the main setsugen heatsink.
Here is where the heatsink was.
DSC00052.jpg

Here is what the heatsink looks like
DSC00052.jpg

DSC00053.jpg

Here is what it was covering. It is the two rows of small black chips on the cards, in between the red and the blue things.
DSC00050.jpg

So how am I supposed to cool those chips? It is clear they need cooling, as there was a heatsink on there with the vapor-x setup, I just can't seem to find is replacement with the Setsugen!

Then, on the back of the card there looks to be another long heatsink. Out of the supplied setugen parts, again, there didn't seem to be a replacement, so should I just leave it?
DSC00051.jpg

I might have more questions, but for now, that should be enough. All help is appreciated!

That bottom pic looks like another Ram heatsink, so I'd leave it.

Unfortunately, the big problem with AM coolers is that they often leave out the little heat sinks. I had to buy one for the exact place you are referring for my 4850. Perhaps though you could use the old thermal tape from the Vapor-X cooler and some of those spare heatsinks and throw something together. Also, you may want to try googling your cooler and 4870 to see if there are any reviews, forum posts, etc. detailing others' experiences and how they solved this issue.

Freakykiwi

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Here's a review with installation guide. (first result in Google for "Setsugen installation")
http://www.technewshw.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2724

They did have issues with the adhesive on ram sinks and used some arctic thermal adhesive.

I had similar issues installing an Arctic Cooling Accelero Twin Turbo onto my 4890 which provided similar VRM sinks which were woefully inadequate although the 4890 runs hotter than the 4870. I ended up breaking the card trying to mesh the cooler on top of a Zalman VRM sink.