Connecting the PC to the Laptop via a wireless router

Keve

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Hey folks,
I am running a PC which is connected to a Belkin wireless G router via a lan cable. The laptop connects to the router via wifi.

Is there any way i can connect the two? Desktop sharing as well as for file transfer, etc...

The lan settings on the PC and Laptop are set to detect the IP and other details automatically, and the router setup has details of the static IP in use.

Any advice would sure be appreciated, thanks in advance.

This is easy if the two systems are both Windows XP but a bit of a can of worms if one is either Vista or Windows 7. Simple sharing in XP is a matter for Control panel>Network Setup Wizard. Tell it "this computer connects through a residential gateway" and later "enable file and printer sharing". It offers you MSHOME asd the name of the Workgroup but your machines are probably in the Workgroup WORKGROUP. Whatever - you can name it whaty you like so long as both are the same.

After that, blob the radio button for "don't create a CD - I've already set up" etc. and repeat the process on the other machine. XP will notify the Firewall of your changes - third party firewalls may need to be let in on the secret.

Post back if both systems aren't using XP. Vista and 7 differ considerably, even between themselves. Linux and Mac systrems almost network themselves.

Keve

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010

which program would allow me to use remote desktop where i have the same ip on both computers? an app thats not too resourse hungry will be much better as the netbooks config isnt too good
thanks for the sharing idea, worked brilliantly!

You can't have two computers on the same IP but Remote works between two computers in the same Network. Windows built-in software will do the job - Control panel>System>Remote and tick "Allow users to connect remotely to this computer". Look in Help and Support for the full detail of how to send the initial invitation.

Keve

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Im sorry, i dont know how to explain it..

the situation is my wifi router is setup with the IP and DNS settings, both the laptop and the PC are set to detect IP and DNS automatically.

Wont this create a problem? What IP should i use in remote desktop? the static one my router is configured to?

Of course it will and I'm sorry but I wasn't thinking clearly. The IP is that of the router and the internal IPs of your own network are down to that router to sort out and assign so you won't be able to do this. My apologies again- yet another senior moment. If you've set Remote in Control panel, undo that chjange so you aren't vulnerable to the wrong kind of contact.

mid4

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012
hey i have desktop pc with Windows XP and Laptop with Windows 7. Now can you give me a solution to how to connect both through the network ??
i have a linksys router

mid4

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012

I have a desktop pc with windows XP and laptop with Windows 7 can u give me a solution

finold

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013

i have my system running in windows xp but my lap is on win7 so how can i connect both these system and share te printer,scanner,and files