Sign in with
Your question

Intel Chipset Driver

Last response: in Motherboards
October 12, 2010 9:06:28 PM

Hi, this is going to seem like a stupid question but I had to reinstall my OS, which is Windows 7 and I then (from my Asus P7P55LX cd disc) installed the Intel Chipset driver, VIA Platform Device Manager, and Realtek Ethernet Controller Driver. I wanted to make sure I did it right and I see the VIA and the Realtek listed in my programs, but I can't find the Intel Chipset Driver. Where can I look for that to make sure it installed? Thanks!

More about : intel chipset driver

October 12, 2010 9:24:16 PM

Also, the reason I'm wondering about this is because I looked in my device manager and I don't see anything named "intel chipset driver" nor in my list of programs.
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b å Intel
a c 717 V Motherboard
October 12, 2010 9:34:49 PM

Welcome Newcomer! :) 

Open the Device Manager and expand the [+] System Device tree; there are a lot of them. You can go through the individual devices and right-click Update Driver.

You can also use Driver Agent - http://www.driveragent.com/gigabytepromo.php
m
l
Related resources
October 12, 2010 9:54:41 PM

jaquith said:
Welcome Newcomer! :) 

Open the Device Manager and expand the [+] System Device tree; there are a lot of them. You can go through the individual devices and right-click Update Driver.

You can also use Driver Agent - http://www.driveragent.com/gigabytepromo.php

Thanks for your reply. I checked the Systems Device tree and I don't see any called "intel chipset driver" but I see a lot of things in there that are named "intel...ports, bridge, hub device, interface controller, dmi, registers, interconnect". Are these components of the driver and that means that the driver was installed correctly?

The reason I'm doing this OS reinstallation is because I was getting a few errors: the computer would freeze on the shut down screen, the USB ports went out twice over the weekend but they'd start working again when I manually hit the restart button and restarted the computer, and I get a red dos msg sometimes at start up that says in red dos font "no devices detected!!!" and this comes up right after the asus start up screen.

Can you help me?
m
l
October 12, 2010 10:02:01 PM

If someone is on right now can you maybe walk me through reinstalling the OS one more time to make sure I did it right?
m
l
October 12, 2010 10:16:35 PM

I'm just reinstalling the OS again for the 3rd time, is that bad to do it so many times?
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b å Intel
a c 717 V Motherboard
October 12, 2010 10:29:01 PM

^ The "intel chipset driver" is a set of drivers and not just a {single driver}; Meaning it will never be listed no matter how many times you reinstall. {e.g. Install Flock -> no Ducks listed; the Duck is part of the Flock}

Example I have an X58 MOBO and there are several {5520/5500/X58...etc} these are ALL part of the X58 driver set. If there is a Problem then you'll see {?} Unknown Device listed in the tree. So if there are NO {?} items in your Device Manager tree then you're fine!

Problem Example:
" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
m
l
October 12, 2010 10:37:12 PM

Okay thank you. And does it matter if I install the asus drivers or my radeon graphics card driver first? I've been installing the asus drivers first.
m
l
October 12, 2010 10:40:04 PM

Oh I have one other question, when I was talking to the company I bought my computer from, he walked me through my first OS reinstallation and he had me change those 3 choices in bios so that the OS cd was recongnized in the cd-rom drive as the 1st choice. Do I need to change it back when the installation is complete or doesn't that matter?
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
October 12, 2010 10:58:09 PM

Asus lists the latest Intel chipset driver their techs have tsted with. Not sure which version the MB CD has, but the latest Intel chipset Driver for the Intel P55 chipset is available at Intel Download Center.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/

m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
October 12, 2010 10:59:21 PM

Quote:
Do I need to change it back when the installation is complete or doesn't that matter?

Making the hard drive the first boot device will make the OS load fater.
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b å Intel
a c 717 V Motherboard
October 12, 2010 11:05:17 PM

Boot into BIOS {restart and tap the DEL key} and arrow over to [Boot] tab on the top, arrow down to Boot Device Priority, hit Enter and select/ arrow down to the Hard Drive with your OS, hit Enter, press the ESC key, Save & Exit = Y, reboot.

No, you don't need to change it; I do because it cuts-off a second or two from a Restart.

Good Luck! :) 
m
l
October 12, 2010 11:46:01 PM

Okay thanks, I'll change it back. Also do I need to install anything else off the asus cd besides those 3 drivers (Intel Chipset driver, VIA Platform Device Manager, and Realtek Ethernet Controller Driver)? Do I need to install some kind of software so that I will get updates for asus?
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
October 12, 2010 11:51:26 PM

ASUS update utility, no. Go to the ASUS MB Product Page for the latest system drivers and utilities, BIOS, etc. The installation CD has the drivers which were tested at the time of the board's release. Some are likely updated while the board is still under warranty.

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguag...
m
l
October 13, 2010 12:23:45 AM

I'm just not sure if asus is up to date or not from the installation off the cd.
m
l
October 13, 2010 12:34:19 AM

badge said:
ASUS update utility, no. Go to the ASUS MB Product Page for the latest system drivers and utilities, BIOS, etc. The installation CD has the drivers which were tested at the time of the board's release. Some are likely updated while the board is still under warranty.

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguag...

Okay, I went to that page and selected my motherboard. Now I see 54 files that I could download. I'm not sure which one I need to update them...is it under bios-utilities? There are 2 there that say Flash BIOS tool under DOS and BUPDATER.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
October 13, 2010 12:53:08 AM

BIOS would not need a newer revision unless there is a CPU you need support for that is not otherwise supported or the BIOS revision notes lists any update that would effect your specific hardware. The latest drivers are designated by their MO/Date/YR. The latest drivers are the one's ASUS has tested. Beyond what ASUS provides, the hardware Mfg's like Intel (Download Center) also provided updated drivers for their products. Utilities like ASUS update are not system drivers. So, the latest drivers available from the MB product page would be great to use with the MB.
m
l
October 13, 2010 1:05:48 AM

Okay, I think I'll just stick with the ones on the cd since I'm not sure which ones to download from the websites. The cd ones are probably fine. I don't think that's where my problem is anyways. Still trying to figure it out.
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b å Intel
a c 717 V Motherboard
October 13, 2010 2:46:49 AM

Unless you are having issues with the proper functioning of you PC there's no reason to updates your BIOS, in addition the other drivers listed on ASUS site are not unique to your MOBO - meaning the important Drivers will be listed through Windows Update.

//^ The "intel chipset driver"// -> {I don't think that's where my problem is anyways}

If you look at the image above you can right-click an select [Update Driver...]. Widows is good about updating only Tested Drivers. It is only a problem "if" you have either "X" or "?" drivers per the image -- if you have neither then you're good.

Good Luck!
m
l
!