Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Boards for Render Farm

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Render Farm
Last response: in Motherboards
October 12, 2010 9:50:13 PM

I am wanting to build a small render farm, possible something like the Helmer setup - http://helmer.sfe.se/

It has been a long time since I built my own systems, and I am confused by all the choices out there. I need help picking a motherboard and the appropriate PSU.

Here is what I intend to put in each system:
CPU - i7 870
Memory - 8 GB
1 or 2 Sata drives - 7200RPM
Motherboard needs to be Mini ATX with onboard video, and onboard NIC (preferable a GB NIC)

Thats it - I don't need anything else, no sound, minimal USB ports...

What Motherboards would you recommend for this and what kind of wattage will the PSU need to support this?

More about : boards render farm

October 12, 2010 10:14:08 PM

Come to think of it, I probably don't need onboard video either, as long as the motherboard will post and run "headless".
m
l
a c 219 V Motherboard
October 13, 2010 5:58:08 AM

Two suggestions for you to investigate

AMD systems using the Hexcore Phenoms in a motherboard with an 880G chipset [ onboard ]
This will be cheaper and perform as well or better than the intel system based on the i7 870

The second system to consider is an i7 9xxx series cpu , with a motherboard that can run triple channel memory . Im unsure if there are m-ATX boards that use triple channel , or whether they will boot without a graphics card . None have onboard .

Theres a charts section of this site where you can get a good idea of relative performance in apps

m
l
Related resources
October 13, 2010 6:15:26 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'll check out the Phenom II X6's and see what I can figure out.
m
l