BMF96

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2012
I just OCed the 3570k to 4.4 ghz on the asrock z77 extreme 4. Now the CPU seems to be idling at 60C-65C. Before overclocking, it stayed in the low 30s. Is there something I should be doing differently? All I did was go to the OC menu on BIOS and change it to 4.4. I assumed it auto set the voltage.

This is my first build and first time overclocking, so I'm not very knowledgeable about this.

BMF96

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2012
On the ASRock extreme tuning utility, it says the CPU PPL Voltage is 1.832

I have the phantom 410, which comes with 1 fan on the top, 1 on the back, and one on the front. I am using the Hyper 212 Evo.

BMF96

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2012
After restarting, It says that "Your PC ran into a problem", then it restarts itself and gives me the option to use system restore. I did clear the CMOS but it's still doing it

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
There's a problem. What's your CPU voltage at in the eXtreme Tuner? Those idle temperatures are a sign of DANGER. If you stress that processor much it's going to melt.

You need to take that thing down on voltage.. I think you hit the auto-voltage BS. Take that processor off of auto voltage and set it to 1.1v on FIXED settings and attempt to boot. Then if you want the 4.4Ghz overclock, slowly boost that voltage one step at a time. Once you get it to boot into windows go back into the bios and set it one notch higher and it should be stable enough to test. But I don't recommend going to 1.3v under any case with that chip.

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
I hope you read that post while I type this one for you. The auto setting for voltage is dangerous when you start clocking high. It ramps the voltages up against the processors VID. This means if stock it will run from 0.8v to 1.25v at full load; at 4.4Ghz it might run 1.1v to 1.4 or higher. That can be extremely dangerous for an IB chip like yours.

So if you're going to overclock you need to manage the voltages yourself. I have the SAME problem with my Sandy Bridge chip. If I ran 4.0Ghz with auto voltage the thing would dump over 1.35v into my processor when it only needs 1.1v to boot.

Now, once you get it under control you NEED to learn about voltages.

Fixed mode is simple.. you set it to a voltage and that's what the CPU gets at all times idle or load.

Offset mode allows the processor to keep it's "normal" setting where it can pull more voltage at higher loads. However, it's controlled by the offset instead of automatically. So if you're voltage offset is set to the negative like mine is right now, it actually pulls less voltage than the chip tells the system it wants. If I ran 4.4Ghz with auto, my chip would probably either melt or run up in the 90C range of temperatures.

So I want you to learn everything you can about setting the voltages on your board. I don't own the Z77 version but I'd imagine it's similar to my P67 model. So you are going to be best off at first running a fixed voltage or going completely stock until you learn all about how to moderate the voltages with your board/processor. I hope this post helps you out. Those temperatures aren't good! Idle over 40C is bad, much less in the 60's! My 2600k doesn't hit 65C at full load at 4.4Ghz.

BMF96

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2012
Thanks for the reply!

It seems like the only way to change the voltage is to choose from Auto, +.001, +.002, +.003 ect.

Is that normal or have I just not found the right setting?

Also, it turned out that the boot problem was from a driver, not OCing