DIY gigabyte cannot start up

jsqihui

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
The problem is that when I try start up with minimum configuration: cpu, motherboard, power, memory and the case of course. The power fan and cpu fan just run 2 second then down 1 second and then run again and down again.

I have replace the power, cpu,cpu thermal grease (actually I even change the motherboard the new one is gigabyte UD3) it still doesn't work. I also tried to reset the cmos, since the motherboard is gigabyte, there no switch to reset cmos, I just short the two pins.

I am just so mad with this and I wonder if it is possible that the problem is caused by the case?

BTW: I also try to reset cmos by unplug the power and take off the battery. Is this a right way?

p.s. there are 4 phase leds on board, two green down one yellow up and one yellow top. Anyone knows what's that mean?

cpu : i5-760
motherboard : gigabyte p55-usb3
power : corsair TX 650w power supply

Thanks,
Hui

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
It's a good idea to list ALL components. Memory in particular for this problem, but cases, plugin cards, USB devices, OS version, etc - it's always better to have too much listed then too little.

Did you plugin the 4/8 pin power connector by the CPU?

See this thread: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems
Go through step by step and report back what you find at each step. Then, if that turns up nothing, try breadboarding. That is, hoook up the motherboard, CPU & heatsink, and PSU outside of the case. Turn it on and listen to beep codes. Shutdown, add memory, boot and listen. Shutdown, add GPU, boot and listen.