Some advice on a CPU / Motherboard / RAM upgrade

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 4, 2010 2:38:33 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: One or Two months

BUDGET RANGE: £300-£500

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Movies, Multitasking (Having a few users logged in with their stuff etc), It would also serve as a home PC meaning all the family would use it.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Everything else than the CPU , Motherboard and RAM

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I live in the UK, so I dont know any good sites as good as newegg. I would be grateful if the most used ones were pointed out to me.

PARTS PREFERENCES: As the title says I would like a good cpu/mobo/ram combo. Intel is preferable so is Asus for motherboard.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes , I have my CPU running 24/7 at 4,3 GHz and my GPU at slightly higher clocks than default, so I would like to have a similar stable overclock running 24/7

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: I would prefer a single card, as I am reluctant to replace my PSU

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1280x1024 for the time being

My system at the moment is a Pentium Celeron D 3.3GHz, Asus P5L-MX, 2gb DDR2, Gygabyte 8800gt 512MB, 550W Corsair PSU and a 19" 1280x1024 Samsung . The GPU and PSU were bought at a later date than the other things so I wouldn't mind keeping them for a bit longer.

I basically want a very future proof PC. This is the first part of the upgrade, second one consisting of a 1920x1200 monitor, a better graphics card and possibly a better PSU, although the build quality of the one I have seems very good. Also looking at requirements for a 5870 for example, it would be able to run so hopefully I can just stick with this PSU.

I would probably prefer an LGA1366 cpu because as I said I would like for this to be very futureproof. My thoughts were to go with i7-920 (if budget allows 930), Asus P6T and 4/6gb of 1333,1600 ram from a good manufacturer.

All comments are welcome and I thank you in advance
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 4, 2010 5:23:23 AM

Bump :/ 
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 4, 2010 9:24:40 AM

Well, taking prices from scan.co.uk, VAT included:

Intel Core i7 930 2.8GHz - £231.67
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R - £152.95
Corsair XMS3 DDR3 3x2GB CL9 - £145.84

Total = £530.46

It's £30.46 over budget, but to be honest if you're only going to use one graphic card then get an LGA 1156 system instead for a lower price:

Intel Core i7 860 2.8GHz - £142.35
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro - £162.80
Corsair Dominator DDR3 2x2GB 1600MHz - £139.97

Total = £445.12

HyperThreading's not really going to help, considering in some games it lowers FPS apparently and with movies even an Athlon II X2 240 could handle it. However, if you can go over your budget by £30 pounds, I reckon the extra 2GB of RAM and more graphic card expandability would be worth it.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 4, 2010 9:47:38 AM

Thanks for the reply, thing is 500 is at the very top of my budget, but then again I really want to get something capable of playing every new game at reasonable settings and fps for a few years ahead.

Would you think my PSU will be good enough for the 1366 system + a high-end graphics card ? Because I dont even know when I will upgrade my GPU, let alone PSU as well ;)  So if it could stay for the future upgrades that would be great. What GPU would you advise to get in a couple of months ? Anything new comming out I should look out for, maybe some new ATI cards, obviously no Fermis as they recently came out.

The thing about SLI is I do upgrades very slowly, and if I get a mid-range card with another one to buy later on, by the time I get around to buying it there it would be obsolete ( the 8800gt a good example at the moment).

Also kinda of silly question but what about people who dont use SLI or Xfire, any new mobos which cost a bit less at the expence of PCI slots ?

Could I just ask for a cheap heatsink recommendation. I am looking to do the same as my current rig,24/7 OC to I dunno, 3,4-3,6GHz ?
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 4, 2010 2:23:23 PM

in terms of websites, i only ever compare 2: scan.co.uk and ebuyer.com

people who won't use all their expansion slots and want to save money can these days go for an mATX board as these have come on in leaps and bounds over the last 12-18months.
May 6, 2010 4:42:59 AM

Thanks for the reply, I will use those sites. And good tip about the mATX board, the thought didn't occur to me.
!