Setting up a new SSD question

stylez777

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
Hey all,

So I am going to install my first SSD tonight. I have read all the setup FAQ's about tweaks to Windows 7 64bit, how to partition, what to disable etc etc.

It is hard to weed out old information from the new information so I was confused about something. Obviously the small random writes lower drive longevity and it's still a majority opinion not to have programs that do this on your SSD. What about your web browser, cache, cookies and temp? I have not found any usefull recent info about what to do with this. Do people still move their browser cache cookies and temp files to a storage hdd? Setup a ram disk if you have enough ram or do they not even care anymore and just leave it on the ssd?

If it matters I am setting up a Chronos Deluxe and I'll have 8gb of RAM on z68 chipset board. I normally use Firefox as a browser (dunno why just been using it long time and it works for me). Any tips or info about this would be helpful. Thanks!

Like you said, a lot of that information is old. Drive longevity is not an issue with current generation SSDs. You will probably upgrade to another SSD or your SSD will fail for other reasons long before you run out of P/E cycles.

Just make sure the port your drive is connected to is in AHCI mode, disable drive defragmenting, and disable drive file indexing. Other than that you can leave everything else on the SSD.

game junky

Distinguished
You'll also want to disable hibernation in power settings - you'll also want to connect into advanced power options to confirm it will never power off the hard drive. I am a fan of a clean install for a new drive, but that's just preferential.

Depending on the drive, you may want to connect it to a separate PC and upgrade the firmware (Crucial, Intel & OCZ updates their firmware often and they recommend backing up your data in case it goes fubar).

Other than that, SSD is the way to go.

True, it’s not needed; I just do it since my SSD (OCZ Vertex 2) has 0.10ms Read access times and I noticed no real-world difference in times whenever I search for files between an indexed and non-indexed drive; so I decided to disable it to eliminate unnecessary writes to the drive.