I had the systems check virus, I have cleaned my computer and restored all my hi

DeeDean

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
I had the systems check virus. I have cleaned my PC and restored all my hidden files. I am having two problems I cannot seem to fix. One, my external hard drive is not showing up and second I cannot open my company in quickbooks. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

DeeDean

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012

How do I put myself back as administrator?
Thank you so much for your help.

DeeDean

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
I found the administrator and I am listed as such.
However, my PC still does not recognize my external hard drive and or it is hidden. Additionally, I cannot open my company in quickbooks. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

plug the extrernal drive into a different USB port and see if that fixes it. If your quickbooks file is on the external HDD then it will not work until your HDD works.

Get into Device manager and see if the USB drive is listed. Get into BIOS and see if the drive is listed (should show up under USB options, or the boot order menu, it will not be listed with the rest of the drives).

Try the drive in another PC and see if it will recognize it. WARNING: many viruses will attach themselves to USB drives, so make sure that any PC you hook it into is protected, and that autoplay is turned off. Plugging it into a Mac or Linux box will prevent this from being an issue.
If it is not recognized by another PC then it is time to remove the drive from the housing and then either install it internally if you have space (free), or put it in a new housing ($25-50).

DeeDean

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012

I'm a little ignorant when it comes to all of this. My QB is not on my external Hard Drive.
But my back up files for it are.
The external HDD powers up....but doesn't seem to let the files be read. I have a feeling they are hidden as were the ones on my desktop, start up files and C drive. However, I can not locate that drive, because it isn't showing up anywhere.
My main problem is not being able to open my company on Quickbooks....having my back up files on the external hard drive is the only reason I am even messing with the external HDD right now.
Is there a way to restore my QB without trying to get my back up files. Please remember laymans terminology is appreciated.
I guess I really need a "Dummy's Guide" to restoring your programs after the systems scan virus!
I am so frustrated! =(