Sign in with
Your question

Ide to sata adapter boot issue

Last response: in Storage
March 9, 2012 3:36:22 PM

Hello,

I've recently bought a few upgrade parts for my PC (MB (Gigabyte GA-G41MT-D3V), RAM (Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1333C9) and case - all brand new). The HDD have been transferred from one system to the other untouched (no changes to OS etc)

I'm trying to use a Samsung IDE DVD RW drive in a new SATA only MB installation (an oversite on my part - I thought I had a SATA DVD drive). I bought an IDE-SATA adapter and connected it up as instructed. DVD drive has power (drive opens/closes, and adapter PCB has power (LED indicator).

When I turn on the PC the drive powers up but the IDE controller list does not show the drive. It shows both hard drives. I also tried connecting just one HDD at a time, which just removed the appropriate drive from the controller list but does nothing wrt the DVD drive.

I found an article on this site:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/267455-14-sata-adap...

and following that suggestion of moving the DVD drive jumper to CS but this didn't fix the problem either.

I swapped SATA cables and ports on the HDD and the DVD but still no joy. I took the adapter back thinking it might be faulty and have the same issue with the new one.

If I let the PC boot and XP loads, looking in explorer I can see Drive F which was the designation given the the drive in my old PC but double clicking it says please insert a disc even though there is one in there (I've tried several).

Other than putting my hand in my pocket for a SATA DVD/Blu-ray drive can anyone offer a suggestion as to how to fix this issue?
March 9, 2012 3:36:23 PM

Hello,

I've recently bought a few upgrade parts for my PC (MB (Gigabyte GA-G41MT-D3V), RAM (Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1333C9) and case - all brand new). The HDD have been transferred from one system to the other untouched (no changes to OS etc)

I'm trying to use a Samsung IDE DVD RW drive in a new SATA only MB installation (an oversite on my part - I thought I had a SATA DVD drive). I bought an IDE-SATA adapter and connected it up as instructed. DVD drive has power (drive opens/closes, and adapter PCB has power (LED indicator).

When I turn on the PC the drive powers up but the IDE controller list does not show the drive. It shows both hard drives. I also tried connecting just one HDD at a time, which just removed the appropriate drive from the controller list but does nothing wrt the DVD drive.

I found an article on this site:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/267455-14-sata-adap...

and following that suggestion of moving the DVD drive jumper to CS but this didn't fix the problem either.

I swapped SATA cables and ports on the HDD and the DVD but still no joy. I took the adapter back thinking it might be faulty and have the same issue with the new one.

If I let the PC boot and XP loads, looking in explorer I can see Drive F which was the designation given the the drive in my old PC but double clicking it says please insert a disc even though there is one in there (I've tried several).

Other than putting my hand in my pocket for a SATA DVD/Blu-ray drive can anyone offer a suggestion as to how to fix this issue?
a c 159 G Storage
March 9, 2012 3:47:41 PM

The jumper should only be set to MASTER(MA) Cable Select was one of those buggy things as far as i see since it caused more problems then anything. Some drives require the jumper fully removed.

This is the same problem USB -> IDE adapters have.

See if that(MA or no jumper) helps any.
Related resources
March 9, 2012 3:53:48 PM

Nukemaster,

The jumper was set to Master at the very beginning, I've just tried "no jumper" and was hopeful for a second when it took longer than normal to list the controllers but is still not showing up the DVD drive. That now completes all the options for the jumper. Just for the sake of completeness, I've set it back to master and still got nothing :( 
a c 159 G Storage
March 9, 2012 3:59:43 PM

Very strange.

So it is not in the bios at all.

To be honest, this is the first time I have seen one of those not work at all.
March 9, 2012 4:18:51 PM

It doesnt show up on the very 1st screen when PC boots (IDE controller list) and when I go to the BIOS setup screen in the standard CMOS features section it shows:

IDE channel 0 master [None]
IDE channel 0 slave [None]
IDE channel 1 master [ST3250620AS] (HDD serial number)
IDE channel 1 slave [None]

Under the advanced BIOD features list there is a boot priority list and is as follows:
1. Ch1 M : HDD s/n
2. Bootable Add-in card

Under the boot options the only think is a + next to hard drive everything else is blank. Out of curiousity I plugged in a USB flash drive and that also shows in the boot list.

Dunno if that helps jog any further suggestions...
a b G Storage
March 9, 2012 4:18:52 PM

since you connect it with a sata adapter the system should see it as a sata device update all your driver
March 9, 2012 4:25:42 PM

Honestly the best fix is simply to purchase a sata dvd burner. They cost 20 dollars on Newegg. Ease your troubles and simply upgrade.
March 9, 2012 7:32:03 PM

SATA to IDE adapters are iffy at best. I'd head for newegg and pay the $20 it would cost for a new burner and end your headache!
March 10, 2012 3:01:56 PM

I think I might just have to bite the bullet and splash out! Thanks for your contributions anyway.
a c 200 G Storage
March 10, 2012 6:59:31 PM

This next topics has been merged by Area51reopened
  • Ide to sata adapter boot issue
    July 5, 2012 8:02:23 PM

ruairi_moore said:
    It doesnt show up on the very 1st screen when PC boots (IDE controller list) and when I go to the BIOS setup screen in the standard CMOS features section it shows:

IDE channel 0 master [None]
    IDE channel 0 slave [None]
    IDE channel 1 master [ST3250620AS] (HDD serial number)
    IDE channel 1 slave [None]

Under the advanced BIOD features list there is a boot priority list and is as follows:
    1. Ch1 M : HDD s/n
    2. Bootable Add-in card

Under the boot options the only think is a + next to hard drive everything else is blank. Out of curiousity I plugged in a USB flash drive and that also shows in the boot list.

Dunno if that helps jog any further suggestions...

I went through a similar experience and finally found that the IDE adaptor was plugged in incorrectly. There is enough space to insert the IDE ribbon cable off by one pin. Was hard to believe I could do this. Now a month later I have a different problem. Trying to burn a DVD over 4 GIG keeps locking up after in progress 3 % . The software reporting a device problem. It seems ok for smaller files I usually copy or burn. It seems there are limits to using an IDE burner in a SATA enviroment.
    November 15, 2012 8:13:19 AM

I also had this issue...was fixed by setting the drive's CS to master. Also...check that its correctly plugged into the drive (e.g. the notches match and that you've not "miss-plugged" it, missing some of the pins). This is easy to miss, since you have to wangle the thing into the case, with cables everywhere and can hardly see. Also...they're usually made in China :p 
    November 25, 2012 11:26:36 AM

vecses said:
    I went through a similar experience and finally found that the IDE adaptor was plugged in incorrectly. There is enough space to insert the IDE ribbon cable off by one pin. Was hard to believe I could do this.

This is what solved the problem for me. I'd checked all my cables, but didn't think the IDE adapter *could* be plugged in incorrectly, I thought it was either in or not in.

The adapater plug is smaller than a standard ribbon connector so you can easily mis-align it in the socket.
    !