Sign in with
Your question

Need a basic tv card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 15, 2010 10:54:57 PM

Hey, I am just looking for a basic tv tuner card but I'm not sure what type of card I actually need. I am running Windows 7, if that helps. I just want to be able to record and watch TV on my computer, which is right in front of the cable outlet so I will have no problem connecting it to the cable line. I don't need over the air channels or HD channels. I looked at several products through both NewEgg and tigerDirect, but they all seemed to have poor reviews and were confusing on the differences between the cards. Can someone point me in the right direction as far as what type of card I need, and/or make recommendations for a specific product? thanks!

More about : basic card

February 16, 2010 12:35:15 AM

I've been using a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-500 (PCI expansion card) for a couple of years; watch one analog channel and record on another to your HDD. You can download drivers and WinTV6, if you are not using Media Center - works pretty well with both. I timeshift and watch programs via analog cable while doing other tasks, running the TV screen on about 1/8 of my 22" monitor. Looks OK, does not look that great in full screen, sound is fine.

I don't think they still make this model because TV tuners are now supposed to be digital, You could google around, though.

!