Small Gaming System

rmele09

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Hello everybody,

I am trying to build a very small HTPC style system that I will be using for gaming. I would like to know if the parts that I have listed below will function together, and all fit in the case. I have never built a system before so I don't want to order all the parts and have them not work. I am worried that the graphics card will not fit coming in at around 8 inches, but let me know what you think. I am not building an extreme gaming system or anything like that, I just want to know if these parts will work correctly together. I will be running a distribution of Linux on the system, possibly Arch Linux or Gentoo. Another thing to point out is that the 9600gt requires 400watt and I am using 250watt power supply, I have tested this build under Thermaltake.com and it shows that it will only require 210watts with 2 gaming controllers being used. (maybe because of the tiny motherboard??) Let me know what you think, I appreciate it.

--ZOTAC G43ITX-A-E LGA 775 Intel G43 HDMI Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
--Celeron L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor (comes with fan and heatsink)
--Secondary Fan Noctua NFP12
--Black Apex MI Series Steel Mini-ITX Tower Computer
Case MI-100-BK, w/ 250W Power Supply
--Kingston ValueRAM 2 GB Memory - SO DIMM 200-pin - 667 MHz
--PNY Verto GeForce 9600GT Graphics adapter - 512 MB - GDDR3 SDRAM
--Sony Optiarc Black IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DDU1678A - OEM

rmele09

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
I forgot to add the hard drive, sorry. Will this one work?

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3250318AS 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
Internal Hard Drive

If anybody knows of a cheaper hard drive I would be interested, I only need 30-40 GB, I want the cheapest 7200 rpm I can find.

Thanks

Hmm i actually do up more HTPCs, LANparty gamers and shoebox/cube rigs more than any other stuff these days and to cut a long story short: up the form factor from itx to mATX and solve matter of PSU, ventilation, GPU fit, etc hehe
hgaw.jpg

rmele09

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Thanks for the advice and that is a nice build you have up. I might up the form factor if this build does not work, but I was wondering since you have experience with these types of builds, will all the hardware I listed work properly together? I wanted to try this build because it would be very cheap, let me know what you think.

Thanks

Not adviseable - your low quality PSU with its dodgy build and weak amps on the 12V could potentially take out other hardware when it goes and this is besides the matter of a mITX case where cooling options and airflow become perennial nemesis w.r.t your hardware lifespan due to heat generation, yada yada

rmele09

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Gotchya. Well thank you very much for your input, I don't think I will stick with this case and PSU lol. I have one last question for you if you don't mind. What if I were to upgrade the PSU to a 400watt, and mod the case to fit another cooling fan? Would the case be functional with those add-ons? I am trying to make this system as small as possible, I know you are probably wondering why I have my mind set on this small case haha. If I can't get it to work I am for sure going with the Thermaltake case you showed me. Thanks again, if you have any more input I'd appreciate it.

rmele09

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
I thought of something! Is it possible to use an external power brick for a pc? I am referring to the power cable/brick that the xbox360 uses. Can this be used instead of an internal power supply?