Sign in with
Your question
Closed

RAID0 Recovery - How To?

Last response: in Storage
March 9, 2012 3:50:04 PM

Hello,

I've done the biggest mistake in my whole computing life.

I've just messed up my raid0 array, i've deleted a parition from my raid0 array, probably its the partition that holds the raid info and so on.

I was trying to repartition my 3tb gpt drive, but then, i mistakenly deleted the partition of my raid0 array.

my raid0 array is a 4tb (1tb x 4), hooked to a amd sb700 host raid controller.

i've used gparted to accidentally deleted the partition of my raid0 array. my raid0 volume only has single partition, so it is a 4tb single partition.

after mistakenly deleted the parition, after reboot to windows xp, going to computer management, i saw that my raid array, already has a new unformatted partition and that my raid volume is no longer accessible.

guys, i need some help here, im a newbie here, but i hope you may give some helping hands here.

have a look at these additional info:

1. deleted partition - has a mounting point of /dev/mapper/pdc_cieaddhjg

2. i've deleted the above partition using gpared and created a new gpt parition.

3. after doing the above, my 4tb array becomes inaccessible and a new partition emerged.

help me guys to recover it by using testdisk from the gparted's terminal.

i have several experiences with testdisk, and been successful in recovering partition and files from single disks with mbr partition table.

but in this case, i don't know where to start...

what partition do i have to recover, the gpt, non partition or solaris? since all of these corresponds to the size of the partition that i've deleted.

i hope this issue will be resolved.

More about : raid0 recovery

a b G Storage
March 9, 2012 3:59:13 PM

sorry but you cannot restore a raid 0
the definition of raid 0 is speed and no redundancy
Score
a b G Storage
March 9, 2012 4:04:19 PM

Sorry, RAID 0 cannot be recovered.
Score
Related resources
a b G Storage
March 9, 2012 4:04:49 PM

RAID0 is not true RAID (thus the '0' and not a number) and offers very little in the way of recovery. If you value your information then use RAID1 or 5 in the future. RAID0 is for rendering/temp storage, and for things like OS drives where data recovery is not an issue.

RAID is proprietary and is based upon the controller you are using. Load into your RAID controller's software/firmware and see what options it has for you to rebuild the array. If you tell us what your RAID controller is we may be able to give you more specific instructions. If you merely deleted the partition then there may be hope, but making the new partition or formatting the partition may mean you are up a creek.
Score
a b G Storage
March 9, 2012 4:41:56 PM

Even a raid 1 or 5 would not help in this case as he deleted the partition and created a new one on top of the old ... You might have been able to recover the partition if you had not created a new one over the top of the old one... You are really out of luck on this one..

Thent
Score
March 9, 2012 4:51:49 PM

thently said:
Even a raid 1 or 5 would not help in this case as he deleted the partition and created a new one on top of the old ... You might have been able to recover the partition if you had not created a new one over the top of the old one... You are really out of luck on this one..

Thent

so, my array is damaged? i could still see it in computer management, under administrative tools of windows xp. the thing is, it's not accessible and the array already has two partition.
Score
March 9, 2012 5:04:09 PM

By writing over the array with a new array, you have destroyed the magnetic field to pull back your old ifnrmation. The golden rule for data recovery is never overwrite anything on the same drive.

YOu can try using R-Studio on Linux. You have to reconstruct the array as a software array which will require you to turn off your raid controller.

Also your raid controller uses fake raid, so it already created a software array for you, just not as good a LINUX's version.

So disable your raid controller, boot into a linux live cd (like puppy linux or debian squeeze live), install r-studio, rebuild a software array, SCAN the array and see if you can recover anything. that is your ONE AND ONLY OPTION. AND DO NOT RECOVER YOUR INFORMATION to the same drives. Go by an external drive and grab what data you can. The actually O/S is shot once you wrote the new array on top of it.
Score
March 9, 2012 5:08:14 PM

Quote:
A RAID 0 IS recoverable provided that nothing has been written to the disks after it has been deleted. In your case, only a small part of the data is overwritten when a new RAID 0 was created. The rest of the data is still on the disk. So chances are high with a proper data recovery software. What you need to do is to connect the disks from the former RAID as single drives. Probably, your RAID controller can be used for that. Then, a virtual RAID 0 can be created in the data recovery software, and a partition with data can be found. You didn't mentioned the file system of your RAID 0, but I guess it's NTFS, as you the host OS is WinXP.
As a data recovery tool, I recommend you R-Studio. This article RAID Recovery Presentation will give you a general concept on how to work with virtual raids (the first part is enough), this part of R-Studio's help: Volume Sets, Stripe Sets, and Mirrors will give you step-by-step instructions on how to create a RAID0, and this free software ReclaiMe Free RAID Recovery will help you to find the parameters of your RAID.
R-Studio is a pay program, but in its demo mode it'll allow you to do almost everything, including creating the RAID, file preview, etc, except saving recovered files. You may estimate if R-Studio can help you before paying for the program.

Ha posted within minutes of eachother. I can guess that you are from R-Studio as you have RTT in your name. I love the software. If you aren't well now everyone knows my love for R-Studio.

Score
March 10, 2012 12:16:06 PM

@alt-rtt

hello, good news! i was able to recover my raid volume. it was so simple, i've used testdisk for windows. i was previously using testdisk that came with gparted.

but then, i've decided to use the installable version for windows. i've restored a partition name solaris or something. i've written the recovered partition and then restarted my system.

then, when i checked out my computer, my raid volume is there and all files were intact.

it's time to rest and sleep.
Score
March 10, 2012 12:17:43 PM

Best answer selected by cosmicx.
Score
a b G Storage
March 11, 2012 10:24:21 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
!