Sign in with
Your question

BEST WAY TO GET PHSYX?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 15, 2010 11:05:22 PM

hi im building a new comp for gaming but dont know which graphics card to get. Money isnt really an issue but i really dont WANNA spend 400 dollars so pls give me some advice. I really want physx, as a lot of REALLY cool games are using it. My motherboard im currently selecting is a msi evo with a 16x and 4x pci e. I was told to get a nice card and then pair it with a physx card in the 4x. would this be considered crossfire, i think not? and would this create a bottleneck. help me out. also, do all cards support physx or do you have to get one of those double decker cards. im trying to figure this out, i want dx11 FOR SURE so a 4870 might be what i get. MY OTHER QUESTION is, even though everyone is loving ATI right now i here a lot of cons about the drivers. i dont wanna be stuck with driver issues, do NVIDIA cards have this problem. i have no problem going nvidia if this is the case. also, why does ati have way more stream processing than nvidia. SOMEONE SMART EXPLAIN ALL THIS PLS!

More about : phsyx

a b U Graphics card
February 15, 2010 11:08:43 PM

Can you name the "lot of REALLY cool games" using PhysX?

If you can name 5 games that PhysX makes a difference in, we'd love to know ;) 
m
l
February 15, 2010 11:21:29 PM

jennyh said:

Mirrors Edge

Batman Arkham Asylum

Cryostasis

Unreal Tournament 3

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2

Ofcourse you will naturally argue that the difference is not significant, but that, is not what you asked.

As for the OP's actual question, no you do not need to buy a seperate Physx card. Nvidia 8xxx series and up cards run physx.
m
l
Related resources
a c 271 U Graphics card
February 15, 2010 11:51:47 PM

djcoolmasterx said:
Mirrors Edge

Batman Arkham Asylum

Cryostasis

Unreal Tournament 3

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2

Ofcourse you will naturally argue that the difference is not significant, but that, is not what you asked.

As for the OP's actual question, no you do not need to buy a seperate Physx card. Nvidia 8xxx series and up cards run physx.

Not forgetting Darkest of Days and Dark Void.
m
l
February 15, 2010 11:52:13 PM

jennyh said:

no..no.. STOP IT...STOP IT hahah pull ur head out of ur a##!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2010 1:34:36 AM

Details of explosions hitting other objects in GTA 4 is proof Phys-x is working.
Just go in front of the Medical Center where the man is selling hamburgers 'fresh yesterday' and shoot the kerosene tank attched to the burgerstand. If a car is close by it will leave it terribly disfigured yet driveable.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2010 1:56:55 AM

magneezo said:
Details of explosions hitting other objects in GTA 4 is proof Phys-x is working.
Just go in front of the Medical Center where the man is selling hamburgers 'fresh yesterday' and shoot the kerosene tank attched to the burgerstand. If a car is close by it will leave it terribly disfigured yet driveable.

actually no, GTAIV does not use PhysX

here is the list
http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_physxgames_all.html
m
l
February 16, 2010 2:55:35 AM

Someone will probably need to correct me, but as I understand it, at least with Batman Arkham Asylum to take best advantage of it, a separate card for physx works best, and an PCI-e x4 should work well to handle physx, however I do not have this set up, so I cannot assure anyone it does work.
m
l
February 16, 2010 12:05:32 PM

A seperate card should not be nessisary.
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
February 16, 2010 12:25:15 PM

A 4870 does NOT support DX11, only the ATi 5xxx series cards do.

You have to consider than the games that use a noticable amount of physX like Batman AA will also decrease your FPS (if you set the physX to enabled), So maybe a dedicated physX card is a good idea.
m
l
!