Sign in with
Your question

GTX 670 ASUS (Over clocking to be as fast as the GTX 680)?

Last response: in Overclocking
December 14, 2012 10:30:52 AM

Hello There.

I have a GTX 670 ASUS Directcu ii - Non Top Card.

I use Asus GPU Tweak to overclock my card.
Could any one help me out in over clocking it to be as fast as the GTX 680 (I know it won't the the exact speed as the GTX 680)

Any one able to give me just there option on overclocking.
-Example-
GPU boost clock: 1137
Memory Clock: 6045

Or if you use MSI Afterburn.
Would you be able to give me your settings on that.

My case is cool and the GPU stays very cool.
It hits 76c max on far cry 3 With the fan at VERY low speeds. (Could easily ramp up the fan speeds by 70 and cool the card way down)

P.S
Exomonkeyman
December 14, 2012 5:02:13 PM

I have the 670 FTW evga and can do pretty well at 140% power, or whatever is the max and, +300 to memory clock and +100 to the GPU. I think that should get you close to the 680 in terms of frequencies but, the 680 does have a slightly better memory setup so it wont be exact.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2012 5:10:45 PM

Why are you so bent on OC'ing it to be exactly like a stock 680? Why not OC it as much as you can while still being stable?

And no one can really give you the max GPU offsets and memory offsets for your card... each card is different, you might max out at 1150Mhz boost while other cards can get 1300+, It is all trial and error to find what your card is capable of. That being said set your power offset to the max ( i think it's 125% for 670's) then you can start with say a core offset of +104 (the core offset and memory offsets move up/down in factors of 13 no matter what you set it to the boost clock speed will round down to the closest factor of 13) and do some benchmarks/play some games to see if it is stable, if it is you can raise it by 13,26,39 and so on till it is unstable (If it is unstable just lower it by 13,26,39 until it is stable)... If the drivers crash it is best to restart the whole computer because i found sometimes the boost dose not function correctly even after the drivers have recovered from a crash without a full restart. Once you have done this you can then do the same with the memory offset ( I would start with a memory offset of +200ish and then test from there).
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b K Overclocking
December 14, 2012 5:53:54 PM

I highly recommend http://www.overclock.net/t/1265110/the-gtx-670-overcloc... Try this tutorial, it goes over EVERYTHING needed for GTX 670 overclocking, and takes into account that each chip is different.A little friendly reminder that setting your core clock to its maximum stable clock isn't going to cut it anymore, because it'll likely TDP throttle and give you worse results than setting the core right where it won't throttle at all.
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2012 6:08:42 PM

bigcyco1 said:
I highly recommend http://www.overclock.net/t/1265110/the-gtx-670-overcloc... Try this tutorial, it goes over EVERYTHING needed for GTX 670 overclocking, and takes into account that each chip is different.A little friendly reminder that setting your core clock to its maximum stable clock isn't going to cut it anymore, because it'll likely TDP throttle and give you worse results than setting the core right where it won't throttle at all.

Hmm not sure what you mean by TDP throttling and giving you worse results... From my experience the only time my card throttles is when it hits 70c and it only throttles by 13 Mhz ( the least amount that it can go down given it is now set to factors of 13)... You would have to drop the clock rates a lot more than 13 to keep it under 70c anyway, maybe you are talking about something else that i'm not seeing with mine, idk.
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2012 6:11:37 PM

This is taken from your own link

"If you're seeing temperatures over 70C even with the fan curve set to run at ~85% at that temperature, then your case's airflow is probably to blame. First, try removing the side-panel of your case. If that reduces temperatures to acceptable levels, then it's most likely your case and your case's airflow that's the problem. It's almost impossible to give generalized help to fix this problem, so i suggest that you post here or in another thread to ask for personalized assistance. If removing your case's side-panel didn't improve temperatures, then you most likely have a hot card. The first thing you should try (if you feel comfortable doing this), is to replace your GPU's Heatsink's TIM. This is an easy and inexpensive procedure that can net up to a 2-10C decrease in temperatures depending on how poor the initial TIM application was. If that doesn't reduce your temperatures then you have the option to reduce the overclock of your card until your temperatures are under 70C. This may or may not result in a performance increase as you only lose 13MHz from the 70C throttle. In most cases, it's only worth reducing your overclock to stay under 70C if you only have to reduce it less than ~12MHz to accomplish this. So if your current Boost Clock is set to 1150 and you're at 73C under heavy load, and reducing your Boost Clock to 1137 keeps you under 70C, then that would not be a performance increase (because you had to reduce the offset by 13MHz or more)."

maybe you could be more clear about what it is you are talking about... because from what i see there is no reason to not go as high as you can @ stable clocks.

EDIT: Given the fact that you can now only change your clock speeds by factors of 13, it is totally pointless to down clock to keep it under 70c for performance reasons.
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b K Overclocking
December 14, 2012 6:33:18 PM

Derza10 said:
Hmm not sure what you mean by TDP throttling and giving you worse results... From my experience the only time my card throttles is when it hits 70c and it only throttles by 13 Mhz ( the least amount that it can go down given it is now set to factors of 13)... You would have to drop the clock rates a lot more than 13 to keep it under 70c anyway, maybe you are talking about something else that i'm not seeing with mine, idk.
That's true some throttles worse then others there no saying a for sure number.It's impossible to give generalized help to fix this problem
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2012 6:42:56 PM

They are all programmed to throttle by 13 at 70c... it dose not vary... At 70c it drops by 13Mhz at 80c it drops another 13c, then again at 85c and at 95c.
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2012 6:45:54 PM

If you are seeing it throttle more than that... it is for other reasons then the temperature... Maybe the card is not at 100% load... But don't blindly tell someone that max stable clocks "isn't going to cut it anymore" when it is obviously not true.
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b K Overclocking
December 14, 2012 6:47:45 PM

For OP My clocks/results on the 670 PE were:

Max OC
Core: 1316 MHz
Memory: 7406 MHz
Fps: 52.6

Standard OC
Core: 1290 MHz
Memory: 7204 Mhz
Fps: 51.5
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b K Overclocking
December 14, 2012 6:49:36 PM

Derza10 said:
If you are seeing it throttle more than that... it is for other reasons then the temperature... Maybe the card is not at 100% load... But don't blindly tell someone that max stable clocks "isn't going to cut it anymore" when it is obviously not true.
It's possible and your right i should not say that in the way.I should of been more clear!Anyway enough of all that back to the op try the tutorial.
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2012 7:10:49 PM

bigcyco1 said:
For OP My clocks/results on the 670 PE were:

Max OC
Core: 1316 MHz
Memory: 7406 MHz
Fps: 52.6

Standard OC
Core: 1290 MHz
Memory: 7204 Mhz
Fps: 51.5

What test did you run for those FPS values? I want to test my 680 and see the difference at clock for clock at high clock rates :) 

Although my values are slightly different... closest I can get to 1290 is 1293, and 1319 for your 1316 :-/
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b K Overclocking
December 14, 2012 7:23:50 PM

Unigine 1920x1080
8xAA full screen
Shaders: high
Textures: high
Filter: trilinear
Anisotropy: 16X
Occulsion: enabled
Refraction: enabled
Volumetric: enabled
Tessellation: extreme
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2012 7:27:26 PM

Thanks
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b K Overclocking
December 14, 2012 7:28:37 PM

No problem!
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2012 9:46:01 PM

Well bah, it kept crashing at the very end at 1293 :(  but could run at 1280 no problems. At 1280 I got 53.4 FPS. So seems the 680 is about 5% faster at close to same clocks. You have a beastly OCer that is for sure.
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b K Overclocking
December 14, 2012 9:49:58 PM

Thanks!So do you. :D 
December 15, 2012 10:20:01 AM

Thanks guys, This has been a massive help!

I'll use all this information. And i'll try to clock my card!

I will +1 your profiles.
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b K Overclocking
December 15, 2012 2:06:51 PM

No problem.Your welcome!
!