Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Temperature does not change?

Last response: in Overclocking
December 14, 2012 12:44:52 PM

Hey guys,
I recently screwed up my desktop after overclocking the i5 2500k CPU to 4.5 Ghz for 1 year.* I found out that the power supply wasnt able to supply energy enough (I dont know why it lasted for a year though) which ended up myself buying a new power supply. I also bought a new motherboard because it was on sale and I felt like buying it so swapped the motherboard from a P67 to Z68. After all with the shopping, I replaced the powersupply and motherboard on to my desktop, and ran the computer. I realized something suspicious that the CPU was still in the same overclocked setting as it was before crashing down. I then went to the BIOS and load the BIOS as optimized default. I was wishing that it will restore to default, but for some reason I cant see any difference; the temperature was constant at 80C. Sorry for the long story, but does anyone know the solution towards this issue?

*it was optimized through easytune by GIGABYTE

CPU: i5 2500k
M/B: P67A-UD3R-B3 ---old one
Z68X-UD3H-B3 ---new one
Pwr supply: 700W ---new
500W ---old

More about : temperature change

a b à CPUs
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
December 14, 2012 4:22:13 PM

wait so you swapped motherboads and when you booted up for the first time the cpu was at its 4,5ghz speed and the temp was stuck at 80c? that is really odd...the information for clock speed and such is not stored on the cpu its in the BIOS...i can imagine that was possible....as far as the temp thing goes have you used a program to try and monitor the temps or was this just a BIOS reading? feel the heatsink is it hot? 80c i would imagine the heatsink would be very warm too
Score
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 14, 2012 7:31:40 PM

That definitely is odd. But I see how it could have happened. With easytune; it probably set the speed on boot with windows. I'd just set the CPU to stock with easytune and uninstall it. After doing that; go to the BIOS and adjust the settings accordingly. That's one problem with being able to adjust BIOS settings through the operating system. Even if you have new hardware, it could effectively set the CPU like that.

As for the temperature; it's probably not reading correctly because it's a different motherboard. Go into the Bios and make sure the temperatures are alright. At idle that 2500k at stock speeds with a stock cooler should be about 30C give or take a couple degrees in a 72F room.

Just make sure you remove easytune as soon as possible and if you're going to clock the processor with that motherboard; set it up with the mobo's utility; not easytune LOL
Score
Related resources
December 15, 2012 2:06:12 AM

Drums101: yap. After I swapped the motherboard and booted up for the first time, the cpu was at its 4.5ghz and stuck at 80C. I only checked the BIOS temp, not on monitoring program (I accidentally dropped my HDD when I was replacing the motherboard). I did not feel any heat flowing from the CPU with the stock cooler; I have an antec nine hundred two case which I think has a pretty decent cool air flow in the case.

Steddora: ahhhh I see with the easytune.... for the temperature, I re-placed the CPU from the new to the old motherboard to see if there is any incorrect reading on the motherboard. But the temp was still on 80C.

I don't know how it might have happened, but when I replaced the M/B, I took off the stock cooler which I assume the stock thermal paste was removed ending up being in a high temperature
Score
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 15, 2012 2:56:31 AM

You DID apply new thermal paste yes? If not; there's your answer! If you didn't clean the stuff off the processor/hsf before applying new and reseating the HSF; another possible answer. Please tell me you did apply new thermal paste. If you didn't go get some asap, even if it's the cheap radio shack brand.
Score
December 15, 2012 6:49:19 AM

Ahhhhh so it was the thermal paste.....
I DID not apply it, nor cleaning the stuff off (I dont know if this is good or not though)
Thank you helping me :) 

Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 15, 2012 7:16:30 AM

You're welcome. Grab a bottle of isopropyl alcohol and a coffee filter and clean the base of the heatsink and the top of that processor off; get it ALL off. Squeeze a couple grains of rice sized dob in the middle of the CPU and install it. Take the cooler back off and make sure the amount you put on the CPU covers at least 90-95% of the CPU. IF it does cover that much, do another cleaning and use the same method and install it and don't pull it off once you make contact. If your spread left some paste on the sides, clean it up and try again without using so much. Get it as perfect as possible and install it when you feel comfortable about the spread you'll see.

Like I said though, get some and get it fast. Don't run that think without it as it can end up in a pretty expensive little paperweight.
December 15, 2012 1:00:03 PM

Best answer selected by freedude67.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
December 15, 2012 1:12:54 PM

Just a comment.
1) Grain of rice is great for "flat" bottomed HSs and method steddora stated Great - Except pulling it back off - This can create air bubbles - But "grain of salt" is NOT for HSFs such as the Hyper 212. A different approach is required.

2) Did Not see which HSF, But if Stock - Well, I would not use on an NON-OCed CPU I DO NOT even remove from box, and Yes it will work for Not-OCed. I support the theory the Cooler the Better and The Stock HSF, being at the BOTTOM of the Tottom Pole performance wise just does not support this theory.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 15, 2012 2:19:29 PM

You are very welcome freedude! Lesson learned! Next time you'll know to have some handy if you're pulling the HSF off! :) 

Chief, that's why I said, " IF it does cover that much, do another cleaning and use the same method and install it and don't pull it off once you make contact."

You should NEVER pull the heatsink off and just slap it back together. Once you make contact with the thermal paste; you're dedicated. So do a few tests, yes it wastes thermal paste, but that waste is better than a fried CPU. I usually use a large tube of Artic Silver MX-4 for every 4-6 processors I do. This is because I'm completely OCD about the spread and will attempt mounting a few times until I get it perfect.

As for the Hyper212, is there better ways to do it? Yes. Lapping the bottom and filling gaps isn't everyone's game. I personally did that for mine. However, dropping the "grains of rice" method WILL work for the 212; it just won't allow the 212 to operate at it's full potential.
Score
!