Need new build help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

buzzforb

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
put together new system and i turned the power on and the gigabyte screen popped up for a second and then it went to another screen that says:

IDE Channel 3 HDD Smart Capability Disabled

PCI Device listings
etc..

Verifying DMI Pool Data
AMD Data Change

Update New Data to DMI

It sounds like you need to now go into the BIOS by pressing the "Delete" key while the Gigabyte screen is showing and set up the CD/DVD drive as the first boot device so you can install your OS. The motherboard owners manual is a must read. It will tell you how to set up the boot devices.

The first thing to check when you have a freezing problem is the RAM. Did you manually set the RAM speed/timings/voltage to the correct settings in the BIOS? Have you run Memtest86+ overnight to test for RAM errors?

Freezing problems can also be caused by the CPU overheating. What does your CPU temp show up as in the BIOS?

We need to know your complete system specs to offer more meaningful advice.

darkjuggalo2000

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
man it seams more and more people are having freezing issues lately. Shortstuff is right more than likely it is a ram issue... you could check each ram stick individualy to see if you can boot up.. and if it freezes then you know that ram stick is bad (given you have the voltage, timing and speed set right in the bios)

buzzforb

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Tried installing XP again and this time it took. I guess will see if everything works out. CPu temps were low 30's and the ram had been recogized as well. If XP loads successfully, i will make sure about the RAM timings. Never built a PC before, just added to. Nothing like being a newb.