Sign in with
Your question

Comp freezes Screen turns solid green or purple

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 16, 2010 12:26:57 AM

Hi,
I have always run games at 1920*1080 resolution with very high graphics settings, but recently while playing Borderlands and then Dragons Age: origins at high settings in 1080p
my computer has begun turning the screen solid purple or green, freezing, and making random scary noises kinda like a dial-up modem...... If I turn the graphics down I stop having this problem
My comp is this

750 W corsair PS
4*1gb sticks of corsair memory 4-4-4-12 @ 800Mhz
AMD2 6000+ 3Ghz*2 w/ ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm
Asus M2-N32 SLI Deluxe Mobo w Nvidia 590i chipset
2*500Gb seagate barracuda w/ 32mb cache in RAID 0
8800 gts OC 640MB
Antec 900 gaming case
42" visio in 1080p

Nothing is OC'd the 8800gts is stock OC
I think that the problem is my video card overheating but it could also be my CPU.... The CPU run hot around 45 C idle and easily can get past 60 C while not gaming and both these games run both cores of my cpu at 95-100% the entire time I also have Asus Smart Probe set with 73 C as my CPU threshold.
My GPU's diode idles at about 68 C... is there a way to check what error or which component is causing my computer to do this?

Also I am wondering if people think that it would be a good decision to keep my mobo and get a new GPU like "http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168..."
and perhaps a phenom processor or
if it would be better to wait awhile and just upgrade my whole Mobo/ram/processor/gpu all at once

I am a very poor college kid so money is an issue... This is a high priority though so what has to happen, has to happen
February 16, 2010 12:40:25 AM

The 8800 idles at 68c? That seems like your problem, unless you meant that temperature for under load.

Try manually increasing fan speed on your GPU up to about 70% before you start gaming. If no crash, it was the gpu overheating. Then you can either get a different one that runs cooler or just manually control the fan.
m
l
February 16, 2010 4:28:25 AM

The 8800 idles at about 53 C its just the gpu diode that idles that high.... I have downloaded a host of Temp measuring utilities ( Riva Tuner, NVIDIA system monitor, Everest, PC probe II, Asus smart doctor, and CPUID hardware monitor) I'm having a little trouble with compatibility for win 7 x64 but I'll get back to you on what the stats look like while Gaming..... Thanks a bunch for your time
P.S This might take awhile cause im a double E.E and physics major in college
m
l
Related resources
February 26, 2010 4:19:15 AM

The problem continued to happen and began to happen at an accelerated rate, and then it started happening when I wasn't playing games and right after system boot, I called BFG and they said that it was a memory error, they issued me an RMA and I got the e-mail the next morning. So i guess it wasn't a heat thing... Thanx for you're help and mad props to BFG and their technical support I called them at 2 AM and the whole process only took 10 minutes.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 4, 2010 6:33:50 AM

Hi,

I have the exact same problem you did, however I'm not as good with computers or the computer lingo, so I have some questions; who's BFG and what's this RMA they e-mailed you? I realize these may be foolish questions for most of you, but try to bear with me :p 

Anyway, as yours, my screen turns either solid green or purple and I get this weird noise, which scares the *** out of me everytime, that I can't describe everytime I play one of my newer computer games. I.e. Napoleon: Total War, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 etc.

Nothing is OC'd and although I only have boxed fan and no cooling system I don't think it overheats. It's never been above 80-85c (it's usually at 60-70c), which as far as I know is acceptable?

So if you could dumb down your solution I'd be eternally grateful.

Computer specs.:
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
Intel Coreā„¢ i7 920 Quad Processor 8MB, Boxed
Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333MHz 6GB (3x2GB)
XFX GeForce GTX 285 690M 1GB PhysX CUDA
Corsair TX 750W PSU
m
l
!