Crossfire Confusion

arckon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
I wanted to double check a few things regarding crossfire graphics cards.

I currently have a "Radeon X1800"(according to CPU-Z) but i'm not sure if it is crossfire edition or not.
Would CPU-Z tell me if i have a crossfire card?
Is there a way of telling if my graphics card is a crossfire edition?

I came across a deal on a PowerColor HD4850 512MB and noticed that it was also a crossfire card, launching me into this whole ordeal. I've been searching for hours to figure out the restrictions with crossfire cards/comparability. To my understanding you NEED a motherboard that can support it [CHECK]. However that is where my certainty ends. I would rather not have to toss my x1800 so will it be able to coexist with the HD4850? From what i gather your suppose to crossfire similar cards(like a x1800 with a x1900), however i haven't seen a single thing saying you can't.
So does it just not work? or is it just not recommended?

If I'm not mistaken when you crossfire two uneven cards like a x1800 with a x1900 the more powerful of the two will gimp itself down to the weaker card. In my (currently) theoretical situation would the single HD4850 be more powerful than basically two x1800?

Finally is there anything else i need to check for crossfire compatibility other than mobo and graphics cards?

Thanks in advance for any information and here is to hoping i won't have a x1800 sitting around!

Solution
I'd hedge my bets on it just not working. The 4850 will make short work of your current graphics card. Also I hope your CPU is good enough to let all of the magic out of the card, so to speak.

arckon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010

I figure your right. Shortly after posting i came across the CF combo chart which i'm taking as "if it is not on this table it won't work!"

As for my CPU i would hope that my intel core 2 Quad @ 2.66GHz would suffice. Along with its 6gb or RAM.