SATA III drive on my SATA II Motherboard

Tags:
  • SSD
  • SATA
  • Storage
  • Product
Last response: in Storage
March 9, 2012 8:08:38 PM

I am looking to purchase a new SSD (Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR120GB 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)) for my build and was wondering what kind of improvements in load time I'd be looking at over my current 500GB Seagate HDD, I know it's 7600 RPM with a 32MB Cache.

My mobo is Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P and only has SATA II currently and was wondering if this drive would run on it without a hitch.

More about : sata iii drive sata motherboard

Best solution

a c 266 G Storage
March 9, 2012 8:26:57 PM

No problem at all having the SATA III drive on the SATA II controller. It will be a massive reduction in load times.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sata-6gbps-performa...
March 9, 2012 8:40:28 PM

Even though it will run, have you compared prices on a SATA II SSD? They're typically cheaper and if you're not going to be utilizing the speed of the SATA III, it might be more cost-effective.
Score
Related resources
a c 266 G Storage
March 9, 2012 8:43:34 PM

ringzero said:
Even though it will run, have you compared prices on a SATA II SSD? They're typically cheaper and if you're not going to be utilizing the speed of the SATA III, it might be more cost-effective.

Typically cheaper is not totally correct http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
Score
a b G Storage
March 9, 2012 8:47:16 PM

It obviously depends on other computer resources and graphics card driver delays. Sata 3g/s port will still have substantial read/write gains going from a standard 7200rpm HDD to a SSD. It shaved about 12 seconds off my boot time and file access is fantastic on my laptop which uses a SATAII port.
Score
March 11, 2012 4:22:10 AM

Best answer selected by ShazamKnight.
Score
March 11, 2012 4:23:02 AM

thank you guys! yea i was wondering because that newegg link is the exact one i bought :D  plus i may get a pci card for the sata 3 in the future until i upgrade my mobo
Score
a b G Storage
March 11, 2012 10:24:05 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
!