newfireorange

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
New system built today by me in four hours, 2-25-10

I boot from my Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit DVD and it loads at the bottom, "Windows is loading files" or, "Copying files" whatever it says. Then, just like when you turn on your computer and see the Windows Loading screen where the red blue and yellow colors fly in to make the Windows 7 Logo, it freezes. It has never shown the colors fly onto the screen and get past this part.

I've tried with normal BIOS settings untouched. I also tried with the OCZ RAM manufacturer's recommended timings of 8-8-8-24, 1600mhz and voltage of 1.65v.

Antec 1200 Black Steel ATX Full Tower Case - 8 Fans
GIGABYTE GA-790FXTA ATX AM3 Motherboard - Sata 6Gb/s USB 3.0
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4ghz Quad-Core
8GB OCZ AMD Black Edition DDR3 RAM 1600mhz
XFX HD Radeon 5870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 DX11
2X Western Digital Caviar Black SATA 3Gb/s 7200RPM 32MB Cache 500GB HDD's RAID 0
2X Samsung DVD Burner Black SATA Model - Lightscribe
Corsair 850W PSU
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 CPU Cooler
Sunbeam Rheobus-Extreme Fan Controller Panel
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

6 ft. HDMI cord
42 in. Dynex 1080p flatscreen tv

I'm eating right now lols but I do remember changing all the IDE settings to RAID in the BIOS. Can this cause it to freeze?

Solution
You have to change more than just the timings for your RAM. You also need to manually set the RAM speed and most importantly, the voltage. Your RAM is rated at 1.65v, so that's what it should be manually set to in the BIOS. You should also test the RAM overnight with Memtest86+ if you're having freezing problems.
You have to change more than just the timings for your RAM. You also need to manually set the RAM speed and most importantly, the voltage. Your RAM is rated at 1.65v, so that's what it should be manually set to in the BIOS. You should also test the RAM overnight with Memtest86+ if you're having freezing problems.

Solution

newfireorange

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
I was editing this post I guess as you were typing that reply, I did all of this, except memtest of course because I can't load the OS. It does freeze at various points though ONLY when loading the Windows 7 disk, I have two disks and tried both, same outcome. I never ever freeze in BIOS or raid setup screen.

How long are you waiting at that point? There is a pause, sometimes for several minutes, before the screen shows up where you pick the HD. I've seen several posts where people were claiming the system was "freezing" during the Windows 7 install. Most of the time the only problem was that they weren't waiting long enough. :)

newfireorange

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
Memtest2-25-10.jpg