Help: Lord Ember's Journal

From Lord Ember's Journal:

"... Even the portrait of Mortimer the Mad stares down at me
from the stairwell balcony as if to name me unworthy of the Opal
(those eyes! surely Arlek was the greatest of the Old Masters).
I ought to guard it more carefully - it's worth all the other
paintings combined ..."

My question is this: how do I gain access to the stairwell balcony?
I have tried stacking a few boxes and jumping across but I keep
falling down. Anyone know of a solution?

Thanks.

Arranging boxes seems futile. I managed to push a very large crate
(located behind the large animal statue) into a position near the edge
of the lower balcony and I further stacked three smaller boxes on top
of that. Access to the upper balcony now looked very easy, yet for
some unknown reason when I jump across Garrett is repelled from
the upper balcony. I guess the puzzle is not meant to be solved this
way. I eventually proceeded outside to the Castle front (where the
level begins) and I made my way up to the door that the cook
opened. There is a barrel located next to it. I jumped onto the barrel
and then I jumped and hauled myself up onto the adjacent ramparts -
I obviously wasn't supposed to be there as some portions of the
Castle disappeared and you can fall down through some other
seemingly solid parts!

I did that too! Anyway, the way to get to the other balcony is...
(spoiler space)

In a room to the right of the hall, up some stairs, is a box against the
left-hand wall (can't remember which room, sorry). If you move that box out
the way there is a passage that you need to duck to get into. This takes you
to the other balcony.

"Stephen Birmingham" <don't_bother@spamming.co.me> wrote in message
> Arranging boxes seems futile. I managed to push a very large crate
> (located behind the large animal statue) into a position near the edge
> of the lower balcony and I further stacked three smaller boxes on top
> of that. Access to the upper balcony now looked very easy, yet for
> some unknown reason when I jump across Garrett is repelled from
> the upper balcony. I guess the puzzle is not meant to be solved this
> way. I eventually proceeded outside to the Castle front (where the
> level begins) and I made my way up to the door that the cook
> opened. There is a barrel located next to it. I jumped onto the barrel
> and then I jumped and hauled myself up onto the adjacent ramparts -
> I obviously wasn't supposed to be there as some portions of the
> Castle disappeared and you can fall down through some other
> seemingly solid parts!

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 15:27:23 GMT, "Stephen Birmingham"
<don't_bother@spamming.co.me> wrote: <SNIP>
>My question is this: how do I gain access to the stairwell balcony?
>I have tried stacking a few boxes and jumping across but I keep
>falling down. Anyone know of a solution?

It is possible to jump from the opposite balcony at the right
hand side (the opposite from where the picture is).

The first time I tried (in the demo) I did it straight away. I
climbed on the rail and made a standing jump forward and Garrett
gripped the opposite rail and I hauled myself up, Prince of
Persia style.

The next time I tried (in the full game) I just couldn't find
the right position so I must have got lucky the first time. So
this time I pushed the little table to the rail (a sub-game in
itself!) to give me a slight running jump. This worked. Then
later I found the easier secret way described elsewhere in a
spoiler in this thread!

"Fidcal" <trashcan@fidcal.screaming.net> wrote in message

> The next time I tried (in the full game) I just couldn't find
> the right position so I must have got lucky the first time. So
> this time I pushed the little table to the rail (a sub-game in
> itself!) to give me a slight running jump. This worked. Then
> later I found the easier secret way described elsewhere in a
> spoiler in this thread!

I've only just finished the first mission after buying the game Friday (with
only 3 hrs gameplay though) because I spent most of the time playing POP
Thief! Great fun, I can't wait to see what other level offer in the way of
acrobatics :)