Your question

5970 upgrade from 2 4870x2

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 16, 2010 3:35:57 AM

Hi guys,

have some cash to spend on an upgrade. currently running a core i7950 with 6 gig ramand 2 4870x2 video cards.

Was advised to get bigger lcd hdmi monitor 23" capable of 2048x1152 to utilize both 4870x2's. Was told that res was decent.

Im noticing that most games today are still dx10, some STIll dx9 like assasins creed and some dx11 like avp.

Is it worthit at this time to go with a dx11 card?

if Im going to do that I would get two 5890 or whatever ati's latest is.

A close friend suggested waiting as most games arent yet designed to make usre of my 4870x2 let alone anything higher..
he suggested it would be an overkill..
he also suggested being that I have 2 4870x2's i have more than enough gpu power..

he suggested to maybe look into an even larger monitor..25-28"

what do you think?

I want to be able to play ANY game with full effects..as so far I am able..

also what is the difference between the previous core i7 and the "new" one..I read it was nothing more than a smaller die they use for manufacturing

thanks for any input

More about : 5970 upgrade 4870x2

February 16, 2010 3:57:41 AM

i wouldn't upgrade anything if I had that system
maybe you could buy a 30" 2560x1600 monitor to stress those cards out more
m
l
February 16, 2010 4:04:15 AM

A monitor upgrade sounds good. A big one can make games way more immersive. I would advise getting either 1920x1080 or 2560x1600/2560x1440. Remember that with more pixels, you may have to drop a couple of visual features to keep 60 fps.

As far as the internal hardware of your computer, you pretty much have the best yilou can get right now. A 5970 will perform very similarily to 2x 4870x2. If you want better performance, wait for a Gulftown six-core CPU, or a Fermi GPU to be released and read reviews of them. I don't know if six cores will help gaming much, but Fermi is supposed to be big. They are both expected in March, so the wait won't be too bad.
m
l
Related resources
February 16, 2010 4:40:10 AM

I think you should upgrade ur graphics cards and sell me your old ones...of course, that sounds a bit selfish. Honestly, get a monitor! the crossfireX you have is sick.
m
l
February 16, 2010 4:53:28 AM

Go with bigger monitor
m
l
February 16, 2010 6:48:13 PM

which monitor does anyone suggest?
im currently using this one..

my current lcd is capable of 2048x1152 as it is..and ati said this monitor despite not being quite 30" is decent..

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-B233HU-bmidhz-widescreen-spe...

its an acer b233hu hdmi monitor..

I cant imagine games running better on 6 cores.. they are just begining to use dual core arent they?
from what ive noticed there arent even many games that require the core i7 ..atleast its never mentioned on the box..so im thinking hardware wise, im a bit far ahead as it is with cpu AND GPU?
m
l
February 16, 2010 7:11:32 PM

Don't bother with a new GPU - a pair of 4870x2s is an awesome setup (I should know - I'm running effectively the same thing). If you absolutely have money to burn, get a new monitor. The new Dell 27" ultrasharp capable of 2560x1440 is awesome for example.
m
l
February 16, 2010 8:48:55 PM

cjI,seems we have similar systems.. only you have a slightly faster cpu (I have i7950) and you have more ram.

i figured dual 4870x2 were nice , just wasnt sure how much of a difference, if any noticable, will be with dx11 coming out..
although seems that even the use of dx11 is here and there, its not consistent with all games at all..

how many fps do you get in crysis ? considering your rig is similar to mine?
m
l
February 16, 2010 8:52:15 PM

Every thing looks good but I would get more ram along with the monitor. The card you got now will do the job well enough for another year or two unless the itch to upgrade is to much to ignore when there is a good deal.
m
l
February 16, 2010 9:50:20 PM

be careful of Dell monitors - some have Huge input lag.

People have sold their ultra sharps because it was too bad.

The Dell 2408WFP is at 38ms for example.

Not sure about the Dell 27" ultrasharp, but many Dells are known to be bad for it...
Hopefully this has been fixed by now :) 
m
l
February 16, 2010 9:56:45 PM

ah, found it

Dell 27" ultrasharp input lag test

Not as bad as the one I mentioned - but 17ms still isn't so great

3 of these monitors would be great though - if they weren't quite so expensive lol
m
l
February 16, 2010 10:08:43 PM

17ms is fine. That is a single frame at 60fps, which isn't noticeable for the vast majority of people.

As for how many fps I get in crysis? All settings very high, 1920x1200 2xAA is playable quite smoothly, but I haven't actually recorded the FPS in a while. I can test tonight to see though.
m
l
February 17, 2010 1:22:36 AM

cjl, id love to see how many fps you get at that resolution. i run it at that res with 2xaa and 4xaa and get a massive fps drop when the aa goes as high as 8x because i guess the cards choke?

when using 2xaa with all detils at ultra high i get 40fps...actualy it goes as high as 60-70fps and drops significantly to like 14fps..
this is the only game that seems to really make the cards and cpu work hard..

well come to mention it, playing resident evil 5 under dx10..with 4xaa or lower even then i get slow fps..

i spoke to ati about this and their senior rep told me that often times it comes down to how a game is deisnged to handle ati hardware... its most often in the actual coding..like borderlands runs great..as did mass effect 2 and even avp..

am i wrong to think that a cpu like ours with video power like ours can handle crysis at max everything and not have a problem?
i even have the latest ati drivers..

although id have to check again..

im wondering if you experience a noticeable fps drop like i am..i was under the impression that the more going on in the game, the more the action and what not, a drop in fps is to be expected but should it be from 50-60 to under 20?

honestly?

very interested to see you made out

if you dont i wonder if my cards have issues?
m
l
!