Sign in with
Your question

HIS HD4870 problems...need expert advice!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 16, 2010 4:11:37 AM

I just built a new system: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, AMD Phenom IIx4 965BE, Asus M4A79XTD-EVo board, Corsair CMD4GX3M2B1600C8, Corsair TX750 PSU, Smilodon Raidmax case, two Hitachi 250gb 7K320-250 Travelstars running Raid 0, cheap seagate 500gb as backup, Zalman 9900NT Cooler, and an HIS HD4870 ICE Q4+ 1gb GDDR5 256-bit card (H487Q1GH) which I am having terrible problems with running games and benchmarks.

Everytime I try running a game or benchmark, I get little squares or lines and it freezes and goes to a black screen. From there it either restarts or hangs until a manual restart (usually). The only thing I didn't buy new was the HP monitor that I was using; however, I have a hard time believing that a monitor would be the culprit.

I have uninstalled the drivers, reinstalled the drivers using the CD, then using the ATI website. Both drivers are different versions, and I experience the same scenario with both, including the most recent 10.1 update.

I have had this card almost two months after install, 1 month before, and can't recall ever running a game successfully. I have no problems with Video or surfing.

Does anyone have any suggestions to this ridiculous, irritating problem?

February 16, 2010 4:51:19 AM

HIS video card drivers are recommended since they are optimized for their video cards. Go to the following website and download the drivers for your video card.
http://www.hisdigital.com/us/download1-457.shtml

Uninstall the current drivers from your system. Then do a complete cleaning of any video driver files and registry entries that might have been leftover using a cleaning utility called Driver Sweeper.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Driver-Sweeper-%28...

After that, install the new drivers. You might need the 10.1 hotfix as well. This should fix the problem.
February 16, 2010 4:52:11 PM

I've done that already as well. The problem still exsists...Does anyone else have any ideas?
Related resources
February 17, 2010 4:45:34 AM

If you have already done that and the problem persists, it could be that the card is running too hot. I'm assuming that you're not overclocking the card. Find out what the temperatures are when the card is running at idle and at full load and post them.
February 17, 2010 1:40:10 PM

Card is at 46C Idle, I have the fan set on manual (35%), otherwise the card idles at 72C on automatic...the most I've seen when performing a test is 65C
a b U Graphics card
February 17, 2010 2:09:54 PM

swanyjr said:
Card is at 46C Idle, I have the fan set on manual (35%), otherwise the card idles at 72C on automatic...the most I've seen when performing a test is 65C

Can you increase the fan speed to 100% and report back how it performs afterwards.

Lines/ Squares could be artifacts caused by overheating. I know I experienced this when I left my sapphire hd 4850 on automatic 700 mhz core/2400 memory overclock. It would overheat and artifact. Upping fan speed to 100% fixed this. I havent run a stress test yet since mass effect 2 has got me hmm addicted.

However there is something peculiar about seeing lines/squares because artifacts usually take place in failure to render sections of the screen, particularly forming triangles, or segments of walls/models gone. Not lines/squares. But it could be mild artifacting. Let us know how it goes.

If upping fan speed to 100% does not work, please download GPU Tool by TechPowerUp to stress test the GPU. It will immediately pop up any artifacts due to inappropriate clock speeds or overheating. Once you finish stress testing, please reboot to clear settings changed by GPU tool (particularly fan control/CCC overclocking get messed up.
February 17, 2010 11:54:19 PM

Alright, I upped the speed to 100%, and same result. I downloaded GPU Tool, ran stability test, and same result, I had the squares, then the screen goes black and I have to manually reboot. What's next?
February 18, 2010 12:17:44 AM

I am also irritated, because I have contacted HIS through their support channel, and its been 2 business days and I haven't gotten an email or anything about my situation....horrible customer service!
a b U Graphics card
February 18, 2010 12:17:59 AM

swanyjr said:
Alright, I upped the speed to 100%, and same result. I downloaded GPU Tool, ran stability test, and same result, I had the squares, then the screen goes black and I have to manually reboot. What's next?

Interesting okay.

Try this:
1. Down clock the card using ATI CCC, 25 mhz downclock is fine for core, and 50 mhz for memory.
2. Try GPUTool again. If you think you should take the clock lower, go for it. The lower the more stable usually.

If this fails I'd like you to open HWMonitor (you can download it from CPUID).
Your going to be monitoring the 12v rail via HWmonitor. Let me know if you see a higher than 5% change in voltage regulation.
Once you do this, leave HWmonitor open and run GPU TOOL again, stop it before the black screen comes up if you can time it.

Your monitor is not a culprit, since monitors do not fail just because the GPU is being used.

Wow sounds like HIS sucks.

Update:
Forgot to mention when you Prime 95 (if you haven't do it) do you get the same issues?
February 18, 2010 3:16:27 PM

A question that needs to be asked: How much voltage is going to the video card?
a b U Graphics card
February 18, 2010 5:40:08 PM

lavell said:
A question that needs to be asked: How much voltage is going to the video card?

You can't readily get that information without attaching multimeter to the 12v on the pci-e 6 pin cable. Also video cards use wattage to measure power not voltage (although you could if you were so inclined to).

Simplest way to calculate wattage is amps*volts. (Power supply efficiency comes into play here as well since 1a/12v coming from the wall can convert to 9w-10w, the rest is given off as heat. But once that conversion is made then it's straight DC current going into the PC components.)
February 18, 2010 9:36:11 PM

AsAnAtheist said:
You can't readily get that information without attaching multimeter to the 12v on the pci-e 6 pin cable. Also video cards use wattage to measure power not voltage (although you could if you were so inclined to).

Simplest way to calculate wattage is amps*volts. (Power supply efficiency comes into play here as well since 1a/12v coming from the wall can convert to 9w-10w, the rest is given off as heat. But once that conversion is made then it's straight DC current going into the PC components.)

Yes you can. All that needs to be done is to go into the BIOS and look under Hardware Monitoring (or similar setting). On these new motherboards in the BIOS, you can adjust how much voltage is going to the PCIe slots. I was basically asking Swanyjr to go into the BIOS on his motherboard and check to see if the voltage is properly set to the PCIe slots.

@ Swanyjr: Speaking of which, what kind of PSU do you have?
a b U Graphics card
February 18, 2010 10:36:38 PM

lavell said:
Yes you can. All that needs to be done is to go into the BIOS and look under Hardware Monitoring (or similar setting). On these new motherboards in the BIOS, you can adjust how much voltage is going to the PCIe slots. I was basically asking Swanyjr to go into the BIOS on his motherboard and check to see if the voltage is properly set to the PCIe slots.

@ Swanyjr: Speaking of which, what kind of PSU do you have?

As I have mentioned he needs to look for wattage, as that is the proper way the motherboard handles the power to the GPU provided it has that feature..

Anyways that's not the power the GPU is receiving it is the maximum power the motherboard can give to the gpu via PCI-E 16x lane.

For example if you set the PCI-E to receive only 20w, the motherboard will cap at 20 watts of power via the PCI-E lanes. It may use less then 20 watts of power on the PCI-E or use the max.

It is always best to leave it at 75w, as the default should say.

The PSU is listed in the original post, Corsair TX750.

@OP
Let me know the results of the tests.
February 19, 2010 3:00:37 AM

I had to down-clock to 550 for GPU and 825 for the memory clock in order to get the test to run successfully...that's pretty horrible isn't it?

I'm not sure what this tells us? Bad card?
February 19, 2010 3:33:36 AM

I took a screen shot, just trying to figure how to post it on here...
February 19, 2010 3:35:45 AM

it was struggling and froze 3/4 attempts on 550x850 for settings....arrggg...frustrating....I was monitoring my 12v rail, it was constant at 9.86v....is that normal?

Also my card requires two 6-pin dedicated power supplies from the psu and double checked all connections, removed, reinserted card and cables, same thing...
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2010 4:43:16 AM

swanyjr said:
it was struggling and froze 3/4 attempts on 550x850 for settings....arrggg...frustrating....I was monitoring my 12v rail, it was constant at 9.86v....is that normal?

Also my card requires two 6-pin dedicated power supplies from the psu and double checked all connections, removed, reinserted card and cables, same thing...

Absolutely not 9.86v is probably what is causing your issues.

All the rails: 3.3v, 5v, and 12v should work at the rail's specifications,
3.3v=3.3v
5v=5v
12v=12v

Contact Corsair for warranty RMA.
February 19, 2010 1:33:24 PM

Hardware monitor ITE IT87
Voltage 1 1.84 Volts [0x73] (VIN1)
Voltage 2 0.54 Volts [0x22] (+3.3V)
Voltage 3 5.05 Volts [0xBC] (+5V)
Voltage 7 6.83 Volts [0xFE] (+5V VCCH)
Voltage 8 3.33 Volts [0xD0] (VBAT)
Temperature 0 34°C (93°F) [0x22] (TMPIN0)
Temperature 1 32°C (89°F) [0x20] (TMPIN1)
Fan 0 1146 RPM [0x24D] (FANIN0)

Still having problems getting the 12v rail to show up....will edit when I can get info...

Contacted Corsair, waiting for RMA# not to happy about my computer being down for a while.....
February 19, 2010 1:48:50 PM

I was on some other forums and they stated that if my psu 12v rail was outside the limits of +- 5% my computer wouldn't even operate? Is that true?
February 19, 2010 1:54:16 PM

I opened up the HW monitor in BIOS, and it stated the 12v rail was 12.2xx...is this a true value or not, since the OS isn't loaded the the system isn't being stress...
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2010 3:52:21 PM

swanyjr said:
I was on some other forums and they stated that if my psu 12v rail was outside the limits of +- 5% my computer wouldn't even operate? Is that true?

Yes this is true to a level.

@Other comment

Yes the monitor in BIOS is very accurate. It appears nothing is off on your PSU. This is rather weird.

No need to RMA. Can you remove the HD 4870 if your motherboard had a integrated graphics and test then. Perhaps the HD 4870 may be failing, however it's rather odd.

I would recommend uninstalling drivers, run driver sweeper in Safe mode, then reinstall drivers. You must reboot for each of these steps.

If this doesnt work try to contact HIS and you will probably have to RMA it.

By any chance do you have another computer to test the HD 4870, if you do try it. Make sure the PSU is over 450w on the other computer.
a c 172 U Graphics card
February 19, 2010 3:55:46 PM

Look on the back of the card to make sure no small elements have broken off like smd caps or resistors. Also see how hot the vrm on the card is running which will effect the power to the gpu.
February 19, 2010 4:13:02 PM

Unfortunately this is the only computer setup up I currently have access to. I do not have an integrated graphics card on MB either, so I'm stuck there...I'll try the uninstall method, booting into safe mode.
February 19, 2010 7:50:15 PM

I pulled the card out, no physical damage. Working on uninstalling, booting into safe mode, and running the driver sweeper, and re installing yet again....if this doesn't work, I'm tempted to reinstall windows 7......
a c 172 U Graphics card
February 19, 2010 8:01:36 PM

swanyjr said:
I pulled the card out, no physical damage. Working on uninstalling, booting into safe mode, and running the driver sweeper, and re installing yet again....if this doesn't work, I'm tempted to reinstall windows 7......

By now I would have ruled out software being the source of the problem so I would go ahead and RMA the card if I were you. Some times one will be unlucky and get a dud.
February 19, 2010 11:00:12 PM

nforce4max said:
By now I would have ruled out software being the source of the problem so I would go ahead and RMA the card if I were you. Some times one will be unlucky and get a dud.

I agree with you. It's definitely not a software issue. At this point, either the video card or PSU is the problem. Or it could be both! :ouch:  The only way the video card and PSU can be tested to find out which one is defective is to put them in another system and see what happens.
February 20, 2010 1:53:32 AM

I think we've ruled out a PSU issue as the Bios states everything is at correct voltage. Hindsight, after I reinstalled the drivers yet again, I notice when my gpu is under load it makes A LOT of noise. Is that normal? I'm talking, hi pitch, grinding time of noise.....

I will be RMAing the Card....last time I buy a HIS card, customer service is non-existent. I will be out a card for at least a month.

Thank you for everyone's help, especially AsAnAtheist, thank you.

I will be checking back when I get a new card and let you know how it's working.....
a c 172 U Graphics card
February 20, 2010 2:17:36 AM

swanyjr said:
I think we've ruled out a PSU issue as the Bios states everything is at correct voltage. Hindsight, after I reinstalled the drivers yet again, I notice when my gpu is under load it makes A LOT of noise. Is that normal? I'm talking, hi pitch, grinding time of noise.....

I will be RMAing the Card....last time I buy a HIS card, customer service is non-existent. I will be out a card for at least a month.

Thank you for everyone's help, especially AsAnAtheist, thank you.

I will be checking back when I get a new card and let you know how it's working.....

The sounds you are hearing is from the VRM and what I have suspected that it is the cause of the artifacts. RMA and about 2 weeks you should get your new card.
February 20, 2010 3:53:48 AM

try checking your 3d settings ib CCC and nake sure the applications settings boxes are checked, it may be that you have your ccc set to your preferences which are conflicting wit the games option settings. that is to say, you have ccc uner 3d tab telling your video to output 16x and the game supports only 4x. or vsync set to always on in a game which requires vsync to be off. i would check ur ccc settings for conflicts with games options. also there is a very strong possibility that you have a bad card and may need to rma it back to your vendor and get it replaced. ive bought brand new starers for my cars only to find out that one behind the other were faulty. third time was a charm though lol
March 27, 2010 3:15:17 PM

31 days later and I have a new card! Installed and ran benchmarks and everything worked like a charm! In the meantime, I won an HD 5750 from HIS in sometype of drawing. Statistically, I think my HIS HD 4870 is better with the exception of DirectX 10.1 vs 11. What do you all think?
!