Same hdd on differnt motherboard

crossfiresli160

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
:hello: my pc wont start so i might get the working components and just get a new mobo so can i just plug in my old hdd and access it and boot up windows 7 and my files.
i know you need a fresh install to have no problems but yeah.

Can I get another hdd and install windows on it and use the old one as second hdd can i access the files if it has win 7 installed on it also

Solution
Either way. Windows 7 is MUCH more forgiving and will install drivers for the new mobo with not as many problems as XP or Vista. You can then backup/copy off what you need. But a fresh install is always better.

Or you can get a new drive and use the old one as a secondary. Only plug the new one in until you get Windows installed so it doesn't try to boot off the 'old' drive. The bootloader needs to write the instructions for booting to the new drive before introducing a drive with a 'valid' OS already on it.

scottiemedic

Distinguished
Either way. Windows 7 is MUCH more forgiving and will install drivers for the new mobo with not as many problems as XP or Vista. You can then backup/copy off what you need. But a fresh install is always better.

Or you can get a new drive and use the old one as a secondary. Only plug the new one in until you get Windows installed so it doesn't try to boot off the 'old' drive. The bootloader needs to write the instructions for booting to the new drive before introducing a drive with a 'valid' OS already on it.

Solution