Thief and XP

Taffers,

Okay, I seen T3 needs Win2000 or XP. We've been upgrading to XP all
round, so that's not a problem. But will T1 and T2 also run under XP
okay?

I have the game. Iron self control is being used...
--
Terry Pratchett
13 answers Last reply

    On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 09:42:12 +0100, Terry Pratchett
    <tpratchett@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote:

    >Taffers,
    >
    >Okay, I seen T3 needs Win2000 or XP. We've been upgrading to XP all
    >round, so that's not a problem. But will T1 and T2 also run under XP
    >okay?
    >
    >I have the game. Iron self control is being used...

    Yes, they both run under XP fine. Depending on your setup you may
    encounter small problems with either the initial installation or with
    keeping the video codecs working for the cutscenes and briefings, but
    those are both fixable.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    "Terry Pratchett" <tpratchett@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Taffers,
    >
    > Okay, I seen T3 needs Win2000 or XP. We've been upgrading to XP all
    > round, so that's not a problem. But will T1 and T2 also run under XP
    > okay?
    >
    > I have the game. Iron self control is being used...
    > --
    > Terry Pratchett

    I cannot get Thief2 to install on XP, even with the workarounds suggested.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    "Terry Pratchett" <tpratchett@unseen.demon.co.uk> schrieb:

    > Okay, I seen T3 needs Win2000 or XP. We've been upgrading to XP all
    > round, so that's not a problem. But will T1 and T2 also run under XP
    > okay?

    T1, T2 & T3 run perfectly on my XP

    --
    Dennoch gibt es einen gewaltigen Unterschied, ob ich mit Linux oder mit
    Windows herunterfahre...d.h. mit Windows egal von welcher Version

    Terry Pratchett <tpratchett@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:<QnKBpeNkfA0AFAKX@unseen.demon.co.uk>...
    > Taffers,
    >
    > Okay, I seen T3 needs Win2000 or XP. We've been upgrading to XP all
    > round, so that's not a problem. But will T1 and T2 also run under XP
    > okay?
    >
    > I have the game. Iron self control is being used...
    The only problem I had with Thief 1/2/FM on XP was due to having a
    processor that allows emulation of multi-threading. There are write
    ups on how to get around that though.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    ReddShadoe wrote:

    > "Terry Pratchett" <tpratchett@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > Taffers,
    > >
    > > Okay, I seen T3 needs Win2000 or XP. We've been upgrading to XP all
    > > round, so that's not a problem. But will T1 and T2 also run under XP
    > > okay?
    > >
    > > I have the game. Iron self control is being used...
    > > --
    > > Terry Pratchett
    >
    > I cannot get Thief2 to install on XP, even with the workarounds suggested.

    I have had no problems at all running T2 or T2 FM's on XP.
    Albert
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    "ReddShadoe" <reddshadoe2@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > "Terry Pratchett" <tpratchett@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > Taffers,
    > >
    > > Okay, I seen T3 needs Win2000 or XP. We've been upgrading to XP all
    > > round, so that's not a problem. But will T1 and T2 also run under XP
    > > okay?
    > >
    > > I have the game. Iron self control is being used...
    > > --
    > > Terry Pratchett
    >
    > I cannot get Thief2 to install on XP, even with the workarounds suggested.

    What happens? Or doesn't, as the case may be!
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    Terry Pratchett <tpratchett@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:<QnKBpeNkfA0AFAKX@unseen.demon.co.uk>...

    > Okay, I seen T3 needs Win2000 or XP. We've been upgrading to XP all
    > round, so that's not a problem. But will T1 and T2 also run under XP
    > okay?

    Depends - but I think every problem is solvable.

    Pentium 4's Hyperthreading must be disabled for all Dark-Engine-games
    (T1/T2/SS2).

    Personally I have no trouble - but I needed to use a workaround for my
    new Nvidia-card (drivers >= v53.03).
    Also T1-Gold crashes, when I use the "Options"-screen (which I don't
    really need to - one can modify the ini-files with an editor).

    > I have the game. Iron self control is being used...

    Don't wait - play it! Though it has some shortcomings I think its the
    best installment of the franchise in some important aspects: Story &
    plot, atmosphere, graphics- & sound-quality. Voice acting is awesome,
    also.

    Please post your experiences, when you have finished the instant
    classic mission which is the highlight of the whole game! You'll know
    which one, when you play it ;-)
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    I just installed ThiefGold on XP. I had to use the "setup -lgntforce" to
    install the game, and also had to enable Vsync in the videocard display
    properties. That's it!

    rms
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 05:56:17 -0400, "ReddShadoe"
    <reddshadoe2@comcast.net> wrote:

    >"Terry Pratchett" <tpratchett@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> Taffers,
    >>
    >> Okay, I seen T3 needs Win2000 or XP. We've been upgrading to XP all
    >> round, so that's not a problem. But will T1 and T2 also run under XP
    >> okay?
    >>
    >> I have the game. Iron self control is being used...
    >> --
    >> Terry Pratchett
    >
    >I cannot get Thief2 to install on XP, even with the workarounds suggested.

    What exactly is happening?

    What's up Chuck?

  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    juniper left a note on my windscreen which said:

    > > Okay, I seen T3 needs Win2000 or XP. We've been upgrading to XP all
    > > round, so that's not a problem. But will T1 and T2 also run under XP
    > > okay?
    > >
    > > I have the game. Iron self control is being used...
    > The only problem I had with Thief 1/2/FM on XP was due to having a
    > processor that allows emulation of multi-threading. There are write
    > ups on how to get around that though.

    I think this is a problem I'm having. I'm looking now for a way to get
    around it but haven't found anything yet.

    Any chance of a link?
    --
    Stoneskin

    [Insert sig text here]
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    "Stoneskin" <no@thanks.com> wrote in message
    > juniper left a note on my windscreen which said:
    >
    > > > Okay, I seen T3 needs Win2000 or XP. We've been upgrading to XP all
    > > > round, so that's not a problem. But will T1 and T2 also run under XP
    > > > okay?
    > > >
    > > > I have the game. Iron self control is being used...
    > > The only problem I had with Thief 1/2/FM on XP was due to having a
    > > processor that allows emulation of multi-threading. There are write
    > > ups on how to get around that though.
    >
    > I think this is a problem I'm having. I'm looking now for a way to get
    > around it but haven't found anything yet.
    >
    > Any chance of a link?

    http://www16.brinkster.com/salvage/thief/darkengine.htm
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    "Stoneskin" <no@thanks.com> wrote in message
    > juniper left a note on my windscreen which said:
    >
    > > > Okay, I seen T3 needs Win2000 or XP. We've been upgrading to XP all
    > > > round, so that's not a problem. But will T1 and T2 also run under XP
    > > > okay?
    > > >
    > > > I have the game. Iron self control is being used...
    > > The only problem I had with Thief 1/2/FM on XP was due to having a
    > > processor that allows emulation of multi-threading. There are write
    > > ups on how to get around that though.
    >
    > I think this is a problem I'm having. I'm looking now for a way to get
    > around it but haven't found anything yet.
    >
    > Any chance of a link?
    > --
    > Stoneskin
    >
    > [Insert sig text here]

    The information you need can be found here:
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75031

    Nightwalker

    --
    **Remove "leavemealone from my email address to reply.**
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    Nightwalker left a note on my windscreen which said:

    > The information you need can be found here:
    > http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75031

    Thx to you and SpammersDie. It was the safe_texture_manager which fixed
    the prob.

    I can play my T2 again - w00t!
    --
    Stoneskin