Advice on Building a Gaming PC with $600 - $700 Budget

Touykun

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Next Week

BUDGET RANGE: $600 - $700

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming (Dragon Age Origins, Dawn of War II, Modern Warfare 2, On-Line FPS) @ 1440 x 900

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse, Windows 7, Monitor

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: n/a

PARTS PREFERENCES: none

OVERCLOCKING: No

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: A quiet PC is preferred

Hi there! I'm from the Philippines and I need some advice with a new PC I'm building. So far I have my eyes on the parts below but I am open to suggestions for a better build. I am also having problems in deciding what GFX card and PSU to buy because the options in our country is very limited. I hope you guys can help me out.

CPU: AMD Athlon II x4 620 Propus
Mobo: MSI 785GTM-E45
RAM: MUSHKIN 2 X 2GB DDRII 800
GPU: 9600GT 1Gb / GTS 250 512Mb / 5670 1Gb
HDD: SEAGATE BARRACUDA 500GB
CASE: ANTEC THREE HUNDRED
PSU: I'm not sure what to get since I do not know how much juice is enough. Options are: ACBel Ipower 660, Antec True Power 550w and Gigabyte Superb 720w.

Thanks in advance.

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Looks like a very nice budget setup you have there, but without links it is kind of hard to recommend something over the other, so here are just some comments.

CPU, an Athlon II X3 435 would give you a tiny bit of extra performance in most games due to its higher base clock, but for overall system performance and looking ahead the Athlon II X4 620 that you have picked would be the better choice.

If the GPUs you have listed goes for roughly the same price, I would choose the GTS 250.

Make sure that the Seagate is the 7200.12 drive.

For PSU, what ever you do, do NOT go with the AcBel Polytech iPower 660 Power Supply.
Of the ones you have listed, the Antec is by far the best choice.

Touykun

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Thanks for all the replies. I am from overseas so the options here in our country is very limited unless one is willing to shell out lots of cash.

@lothdk: I want to future proof my rig somehow. Won't the 5xxx Ati GPU's be a better choice? Thanks for the heads up on the PSU.

@Alvin Smith: Thanks for the link. I like the daughter's rig, however, will the 430w PSU be enough?

@saint19: Thanks for references.

^Oh..Ok. You build a solid processor, use the same processor to build a rig with DDR3 adn socket AM3 mobo, exist some cheaps mobos AM3 and DDR3.

And for your GPUS options, a 450W PSU for the GTS 250 or 400W for the 5670. If you want use two GTS250 you need a 550W PSU, or a 500W PSU for two 5670.