Help me overclock

Gate9er

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
Hey guys.

I have the rig below and I am currently looking to overclock my CPU (mainly) since I know I can get much more out of it. The problem is that I have never done this before so I need some strong and thorough guidance!

ASUS Maximus V Formula - i7 3770K 3.5Ghz - Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB 1600Mhz - EVGA GTX580 - 1TB Seagate - Silverstone Raven ST-RV03B - 24 Samsung P2450 - Corsair TX750M

Cheers!

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Best advice?

www.google.com

Search your motherboards manual, research terms associated with overclocking like vcore, LLC(Load Line Calibration), Voltage offsets, and whatever else you find in your Bios.

Learn what the settings do and research what others have accomplished with systems similar to yours. There's no better advice than me telling you to simply LEARN about everything the way you learned to build that PC. Once you learn and know what everything does; then asking us "how to overclock" will seem stupid to you. I'm not being mean, so please don't take it that manner. I'm telling you to take to the streets of the internet and learn about this stuff. There's SO much you can learn! Once you do and you start tuning for performance you'll be like "OMG I DID IT!" LOL When you hit that 4.2Ghz spot you can't hold stable for the life of you and you come ask us "wth is with 4.2Ghz" and we all group together and get you to 4.5Ghz and you scream to your family, "I saved a bunch of money by overclocking by a gigahertz!". The day will be epic and have an almost pneumatic glow to it. And you will sit down and be like, "I rock... I do, I really kick some serious silicon butt!"

Happy Clocking brother!

Gate9er

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
Best answer that someone could give. Pretty honest at least. Is there anything I need to know before I begin my exploration to the ''new world''??

Cheers for your reply bro!

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Be open minded. If you have a question, you have the worlds largest knowledge base in your fingertips. One of the biggest things I think you SHOULD keep handy..

http://ark.intel.com/products/65523

That's the intel specs on the processor you have. I have the ark for my processor bookmarked just incase I want to know. I also suggest a few things here.

Download a few temperature monitor programs like CPUID Hardware Monitor and also CPU-Z as well. These can be extremely handy along your journey. And always remember; watch those temperatures. Honestly, if I ran the 3770k I wouldn't let it go over 75C in my hands. However some people will run them clear to 80. I guess it may be preference; but I don't think 80C is going to be healthy on the processor. :)

Wish I had a little sword.. I'd simply type "It's dangerous out there, take this..."