Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Best Graphics Card for Phenom 955 Black

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 16, 2010 6:33:12 AM

First Build; First Time Using AMD. What Are Top 3 Video Graphics Cards To Use For Best Performance. Should It Be Single Card or CrossfireX Two Cards? Prefer Single If Better Route.

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2010 6:39:12 AM

is money a factor? since without a budget, its impossible to pick the right card for you.

but the BEST options would be. 2x 5970>1x5970+1x5870>2x5870/1x5970.

but im gonna go ahead and assume none of those are viable options for you.

a single 5850 is probably the sweet spot right now price/performance wise.

a 5870 is the best single gpu if you have the cash. but the 5770 is also great if you're on a budget.

for an even tighter budget, a gts250 would do the job.
February 16, 2010 6:39:17 AM

What is the resolution of your monitor?

HD5850 has the best bang for the buck and will serve you well with any resolution at/under 1920x1200.

2x HD5850 should give you top performance in any current game at/under 1920x1200.
m
l
Related resources
February 23, 2010 2:52:23 PM

welshmousepk said:
is money a factor? since without a budget, its impossible to pick the right card for you.

but the BEST options would be. 2x 5970>1x5970+1x5870>2x5870/1x5970.

but im gonna go ahead and assume none of those are viable options for you.

a single 5850 is probably the sweet spot right now price/performance wise.

a 5870 is the best single gpu if you have the cash. but the 5770 is also great if you're on a budget.

for an even tighter budget, a gts250 would do the job.

Thank you for your recommendation and assumptions regarding budget. You are correct that I wish to work on a tight budget but will spend what is necessary within reason. I should have also included that I am minimal as a gamer but have interest to do some gaming. Mostly, I would have general assorted MS Office, Photoshop, software programs and want an outstanding quality picture with using a LCD 1080 HDTV or dual digital 22" LCD displays. I do have a BlueRay DVD burner/player that will be installed. I wanted to feed my BlueRay and regular HD DVD movies to display and various HDTVs throughout the rooms in my house. Is there one of the GPU cards that stands out more between the 5850 or 5770 given my minimal gaming requirements? Would I attempt to over-clock either card if one or the other is purchased? It seems that is preferred and to our advantage. The cards I've looked at are XFX 5850 Black & XFX 5770 and would make the purchase decision on recommendation. It is unlikely that I will become a heavy gamer due to other interests and limited time. Thank you DennisP
m
l
February 23, 2010 2:54:11 PM

Thank you for your recommendation and assumptions regarding budget. You are correct that I wish to work on a tight budget but will spend what is necessary within reason. I should have also included that I am minimal as a gamer but have interest to do some gaming. Mostly, I would have general assorted MS Office, Photoshop, software programs and want an outstanding quality picture with using a LCD 1080 HDTV or dual digital 22" LCD displays. I do have a BlueRay DVD burner/player that will be installed. I wanted to feed my BlueRay and regular HD DVD movies to display and various HDTVs throughout the rooms in my house. Is there one of the GPU cards that stands out more between the 5850 or 5770 given my minimal gaming requirements? Would I attempt to over-clock either card if one or the other is purchased? It seems that is preferred and to our advantage. The cards I've looked at are XFX 5850 Black & XFX 5770 and would make the purchase decision on recommendation. It is unlikely that I will become a heavy gamer due to other interests and limited time. Thank you DennisRP
m
l
February 23, 2010 2:55:26 PM

Best answer selected by DennisRP.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 23, 2010 11:31:56 PM

if you aren't planning a lot of gaming, the 5770 should suit your needs just fine.

m
l
!