Sign in with
Your question

First Upgrade for Gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
February 26, 2010 4:46:50 AM

Hello everyone,
I built my rig last May and I was wondering if there were any worthy upgrades available at this moment in time.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 720 BE OC'd to 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P
RAM: 4gb G.Skill 1066 MHz
Cooler: Xigmatek HDT-s1283
GPU: EVGA GTX 260 core 216 OC'd to ~700 core, ~1450 shaders, ~1200 mem
PSU: OCZ Fata1ity 550W Modular
HD: WD Caviar Black 640 Gb
Monitor: Acer 23" 1920 x 1080

The only game I play heavily is WoW right now and I still get some hiccups when playing. I plan on getting Mass Effect 2/Bioshock 2 soon though, so I was wondering if there were any viable upgrades that would be worth the money at this point in time.

I was thinking about maybe getting the Phenom II X4 955 for the extra core and the HD 5870, but since I'm planning on OC'ing both I was not sure if my PSU would be able to handle it.

Thanks!

More about : upgrade gaming

a b B Homebuilt system
February 26, 2010 7:12:40 AM

No, I'd leave it as is. wow hiccups is most likely internet issues. I mean, you could upgrade stuff, but I'd wait a year and then do it. (I've got the same CPU, but not OC'd and a 4850)
Anonymous
February 26, 2010 9:14:18 AM

You have built a nice PC there, looking at the specs, I am not sure if it would be worth upgrading anything on it though, the weakest part for gaming it the GTX 260, but that card is definately no slouch, and should be dealing with everything you throw at it at 1920x1080.

I have 4870 which is similar to 260 and i feel i still have life left in the GPU as It will still play everything at 1920x1080 ( keep looking at hardware reviews and you will see both of our cards beat the min 30fps on all games with good AA and game details)

The 5850 would be the minimum upgrade GPU really if you are to notice a difference, It seems hard to recommend the GT285 as its about to be replaced and if you buy new, at least get DX11. but is it really worth it.

The upgrade bug is a difficult one to suppress, I know I am having to tell myself all the time that my build is doing exactly what it was meant to do and I have not reached its upgrade point yet and probably wont untill long after fermi launch and probably when ATI have taped out 6xxx or even launched. end of the year is my honest bet.

Your CPU is good at the moment as well for gaming, many tests done as to CPU power needed for games and you are above that with a whole core spare, there is no bottleneck between your GPU and CPU but go to 5970 and that would change!

Lastly, 550w may be ok for 5870 and x4 955, but I would preferrably have 700w for such a rig.
Related resources
February 26, 2010 12:06:37 PM

I can't help but agree with everyone else.

WoW is not a demanding game by any means.
I was playing at the same resolution on my old (now wife's) G71G without any hiccups.
(T9400 and 9800m GS)

The only REAL reason to upgrade your rig is for e-peen value, if I were you, I'd save my money and wait for the next gen of AMD procs and wait for Northern Islands and Fermi to materialize (both of which are new architectures, rather than refreshes). You'll have a more noticeable upgrade and you'll have a larger budget to upgrade with.

February 26, 2010 5:19:51 PM

Alright thanks for the input guys. Yeah it's been pretty difficult to tell myself to not upgrade when reading about all these new builds on this forum everyday. I had suspected that most of my issues running WoW are network/connection related so I'll take the advice to wait until next gen to upgrade.
February 26, 2010 6:06:00 PM

inishoc said:
Alright thanks for the input guys. Yeah it's been pretty difficult to tell myself to not upgrade when reading about all these new builds on this forum everyday. I had suspected that most of my issues running WoW are network/connection related so I'll take the advice to wait until next gen to upgrade.

I know how you feel. It's hard to resist the temptation, especially if you have money put back for that purpose. I know I'm going to have to fight myself not to get a gulftown and fermi/northern islands.
February 26, 2010 9:07:29 PM

The hiccups are internet. You setup is amazing. But i would change the x3 to a good x2 ot x4 620.
everything should stay.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 26, 2010 9:53:32 PM

Why would he change it to ANY x2? He's overclocked it out of the park, beyond the fastest AMD dual cores. That's a pointless thing to do.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 26, 2010 11:07:00 PM

The only potentially worthwhile upgrade I see would be a SSD to use as your boot drive. You probably want 80GB, which will run you about $250.
I'm fighting the upgrade bug now too, satisfying myself with a few better fans and fan filters, but I just ordered a SSD too. I see a GPU in my future, but the few games I play are running just fine on a HD4850 even at 1920x1080.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 27, 2010 1:48:14 AM

YES, I'm so glad I'm not the only person who considers a fan change an upgrade. Whew. Back on topic though, you're perfectly fine. If you got the bug, pull it all apart and do some cable management, that gets me through for a few days.
!