Power on for a split second

pedro5

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
Hey, I just built a core i5 systerm with the core i5 750, a 850 watt rosewill psu, 4 gigs ocz 1600mhz RAM, a gtx 260, gigabyte P55 UD3L mobo, and some other peripherals - everything but the core i5, ddr3 RAM, and mobo are old and used in my previous system but worked fine... but won't power the new system for over a split second...

so I had these parts taken and tested at microcenter...and they passed... so again I tried connecting everything as stated right out of the manual and from previous building knowledge...STILL powers on for only a split second (fans all beginning to barely turn and LEDs go on...then INSTANTLY off...)

- so if it's not the core i5, DDR3, or mobo - is it the PSU? and if so why does the PSU still power on momentarily of it's infact dead...!?

any suggestions or assistance would be appreciated! (I swear I installed everything correctly but all reminders/precautions/extra things to try are much appreciated!)

Thanks in advance all!

stridervm

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
Sometimes the most complicated problems are caused by something simple....

- Double check your power button, sometimes it's partially stuck so although you can switch it to on, it doesn't push enough to it shuts down again.

- Reseat the RAM.

At worse it could be a dying capacitor on the mobo.

pedro5

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
OMG...just found the problem AFTER the mobo started smoking... and the problem was 3 extra standoffs under the board shorting circuits! SHOOOOOOOT!!!!!!!!

- do you think that will be accepted for RMA? because I don't want to risk running my computer on a partially burnt mobo...

pcworm

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
man, I just saw the question, and was going to say the short circuit, but found a couple of answers later that you found it the hard way...
clean the board!! it might help remove suspicion