M3a770de xfire question x16/x4

I wan wondering will 5770 still crossfire well with one pcie lane being x4? Also te two pcie express lanes are right next to each other will they have room If I choose to watercool them? Thanks this is my first build.
11 answers Last reply
More about m3a770de xfire question
  1. The HD 5770 CF don't need to be watercooled, but you want very good air circulation in your case, and preferably a case with a Top Fan. I assume your HD 5770 are not shrouded {not built to full spec}, but if they're shrouded your case temps will be okay. The HD 5770 will max-out your second X4 lane in CF {the question is by how much for the 2nd GPU w/CF a single card needs an x8}.

If your HD 5770 is shrouded {Full Spec} as bellow then have good front to rear airflow.
  2. Since I already have the loop that I got for cheap should I just include it anyway? Also would you go 5830 for 150 or 5770 for 100?
  3. {I wrote this nice post & poof; this is the shorter version}

The tests were on P7P55D Premium {2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (single at x16 or dual at x8/x8 mode)}. Your MOBO is not clear about "dual" {I saw x16 and X8}

Therefore, if it were me and knowing in CF you do NOT double your speeds, and your MOBO info then I would recommend a SINGLE GPU. Cost CF HD 5770 = price = HD 5850. Next is you need to know what games you're going to play, games like Crysis eat GPUs for lunch and other do not require a lot of muscle.

CF HD 5770 - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5770,2446-5.html
    HD 5850 v 5830 v 5770 - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5830,2564-5.html
  4. I understand that logic completely it's just I can't afford a 5850 atm but I can get a 5770 for a 100 right now so if end up getting a second at that same price how much of a performance hit will the lesser pcie slot get, I mean for 200$ I'm not expecting amazing results but should I decide would it work? One last thing since I'm new to all this, I will be water-cooling and overclockimg my first 5770 if I add another does it matter that I will be running it stock? Overclocking is single card dependent right? Thanks!
  5. Part of my reasoning was the added expense of (2) blocks; I've purchased X4 GTX 480 blocks - it's crazy expensive.

NO, you need to have them running the same speeds, it is theoretically possible but it is nothing that I would recommend doing. Then I would go the single HD 5830, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around 50%+ cost.

What are you using for the waterblock? {EK Radeon HD 5770 VGA is a rip-off} Also, and OC HD 5770 will approach the ~ HD 5830/50 speeds but the bock costs then make for the HD 5850 argument of cost. I see all the angles; I see that it's cool to block a GPU too... ;)
  6. Well I'm using a mcw60 universal block, here's how I got it, I bought a quadro fx1800 and a 6800 gt for 200 dollars which I bought since a friend wanted to trade the quadro for his swiftech kit (350$), I sold the 6800 for 25$ making the kit effictively 175 to cool my phenom 965 the northbridge and a gpu, thought it was pretty cost effective and now I'm sitting with 120$ spending money and a water-cooling system. I get paid next Thursday but then the 5770 might be sold, I can't pull the trigger either haha so what's my best option? My main game is sc2, ranked 10 diamond haha, but I want to play the new fallout and crysis at a higher setting..
  7. I don't know what more I can add, I pretty much covered it all.
  8. alot of games.. esp new ones dont respond very well to sli or CF until drivers are updated.
    I forget what game it was that came out and 1 8800 was 2fps higher than 2 8800's in sli..

If it was me I'd probably wait and get 1 card.

alternatively.. i guess you could get a 5770 then sell it

nothing worse than getting 1 card.. finding its mediocre .. then you buy a second one and its bandwidth starved and still sucks.. all for the price of 1 better card.
  9. I've seen the Starcraft 2 SLI issues, but I KNOW it works!

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1422/8/
  10. What about a 4890 for 140$, I'm leaning towards one card also so I can set up my loop (: another option is trading the loop and 100 bucks for a 5870 but I don't think I'm up for that
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards WAN Crossfire