Sign in with
Your question

Building a New Gaming System. Specific Questions

Last response: in Systems
February 26, 2010 6:40:07 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within a few days.

BUDGET RANGE: $1500 - $2000 (more depending if its worth it)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Watching Movies, College Work, and Net Surfing.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Triple LCD Monitors ASUS VW266H - 25.5", Keyboard, Mouse and Speakers

PARTS PREFERENCES:

CPU: Intel i7 (not sure which)
CPU Cooling: Cooolermaster V8 or V10
Motherboard: undecided although looking at EVGA or ASUS
Memory: undecided
Case: The Coolermaster HAF932
PSU: undecided
GPU: ATI 5xxx Series. Crossfire: Maybe. (I hear its not possible to use with EYE AFFINITY). I currently have 3 ASUS VW266H - 25.5" LCDs. I have only unboxed 1 the other 2 is still boxed.
MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200
HDD: undecided (I would like to have 1 HDD for Win 7/Software and another for Data Storage)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: This will be my first build. I have been using Dell and HP machines my whole life. I finally decided to build my first rig.

Since I have bought/used pre-built machines I am a computer parts nub. I have a lot of undecided parts listed because I really don't know what I need. If possible Id prefer the best performing parts and if at all possible to try to keep my Black and Red theme with the parts as well. Ive done a lot of looking around (the last couple of weeks or so).

I plan on getting my The Coolermaster HAF932 case painted or powder-coated with a color scheme of black and red. Any ideas on how much this can cost? If it cost too much can I do this myself with spray paint? and will spray painting look good or cheesy? I do know how to sleeve the cables and all and will be doing this myself.

Since I am a computer building nub I am thinking about having a computer store put it together for me. Or if anyone in San Diego, CA is very experienced in Case Modding and/or Computer Building maybe we could hook up.

Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I truly apologize for not introducing myself. Not sure where to post it. Currently I reside in San Diego, CA and don't know any other gamers or computer guys out here. I am posting my questions here since I feel that store reps are just trying to make a sale. At least I may get genuine and experienced answers =). I play a lot of COD and WOW. Who knows, maybe once I build this system I can finally play other games. I am a wannabe computer gaming/modding enthusiast as of late =). I really do spend a lot of time on the computer...lol In all seriousness I am looking to build something that will last me for a while.

Very Respectfully,

-Me :pt1cable: 
February 26, 2010 7:30:48 AM

i5+5870 and you are done :)  with that tweak you may get a 80 gb intel ssd :)  Grab a 4gb ddr3 set with timing as thight as possible and your are all set :) 
m
l
February 26, 2010 7:31:24 AM

I'd go with asus and a good antec/corsair power supply
m
l
Related resources
February 26, 2010 8:33:06 AM

Try this:

Proc: Intel Core i7-920

Mobo: ASUS P6X58D Premium

RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750HX 750W

GPU: XFX HD-587X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5870 1GB 256-bit DDR5

HDD1: Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2M080G2XXX 2.5" 80GB

HDD2: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB

That puts at about $1700 + $75 for V8 + $160 for HAF932 = $1900

I'd recommend a cheaper but equally performing HSF like CM Hyper 212+ or Scythe Mugen-2 and dropping down to the equally spaced but cheaper HAF922.

Other alternative is:

CPU: Intel Core i7-860
Mobo: ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Which comes out to $1700 and is equally, if not more, potent although some will argue not very future proof :) 
m
l
February 26, 2010 9:08:21 AM

Hey there,

I don't know squat, just posted my own thread. But live in Temecula so if you find someone GREAT who will put your unit together, let me know.

I play Cod MW all the time and when I get the new computer will play Crisis and COD MW2.

The unit "Verst" has supplied you with looks really good, a lot of those parts are what I have researched and are very popular. Remember, the little bit of extra money you can put into your computer now will be with you for years... That equates to a few nights not partying, or whatever. :) 

Good luck with everything.

WineByMe
m
l
February 26, 2010 1:27:54 PM

Thank you for your recommendations. However is it true that I cant run 2 ATI GPU cards in Crossfire for Eye Affinity? I will be shopping for parts over the weekend.
m
l
February 26, 2010 1:29:31 PM

Avoid the V10 for the cooling system. Even the V8 isn't a particularly great cooler (although I gotta admit both look really awesome)
m
l
February 26, 2010 1:31:39 PM

Unrelated to your Eyefinity question, have you looked at this HAF 932 Special Edition Red/Black? Might not be exactly what you're looking for, but it's probably cheaper going with this than a custom paint job.
m
l
February 26, 2010 5:41:27 PM

Do you plan on gaming using eyefinity and all 3 monitors for gaming?
At this point in time, it is not clear to me how many games can properly use the apparent 1920 x 3600 of three monitors. I think some do, and more will be able to do so over time. At 1920 x 3600, the usual rules of graphics power needed will no longer apply. Consider that at a 2560 x 1600 resolution, a single 5970 is needed to give best gameplay. Your configuration will have 50% more pixels that need to be driven. In addition, the 5970 has two dvi ports and a displayport. To attach your third monitor, plan on buying an active displayport to dvi box. I think they go for $100 or so.

If you will be able to use windowed mode, then you might be able to use a 5870 for the center monitor and a second, independent 5870 for the side displays.

In March, Nvidia is supposed to announce their "fermi" line of top end graphics cards. It might be good to wait a bit to see what that will bring.

As to the rest, The i7-920 list from verst looks good.
I would pick the X58 type system based on the availability of multiple X16 pci-e slots which your graphics system may require.

If you go for the X25-M intel SSD, make certain that it is a Gen2 type which includes the trim support. Also, the 160gb size will be a bit faster.
The SSD marketplace is changing rapidly, so research carefully there. Intel is a safe choice today, but there may be something better.

Pretty is as pretty does. I would not bother trying to paint a case myself. Find a case you love as it is.
If you are going to spend a bunch extra on a case, look at the Lian-li X1000:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I suggest you build it yourself. There is not much to it. Download and read the manuals for the motherboard and the case in advance.

---good luck---
m
l
!