Removing "to begin click your user name" screen on startup

Whenever I boot XP Home SP2, or come out of stand by mode, I have a screen
that says "to begin click your user name". I'd like to automatically logon
to this computer every time with a specified user. How can I eliminate this
step?

I should add that, although I'm running SP2, this problem doesn't seem to be
related to SP2. I did recently install Norton Ghost 9.0, and while the
problem did start after that install, I can't say for 100% certainty that
it's related to Ghost, although I think it probably is.

Thanks,

Steve
1 answer Last reply
More about removing begin click user name screen startup

    Steve,

    Click Start, Run and type CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2, and click Ok. Uncheck "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" option, and click Ok. Once you uncheck the option "Users must enter a user name" and click OK/Apply, Administrator account name will be displayed in the text box. Type-in a different user name and password in order to auto-login to that account.

    NOTE: In Windows XP Home Edition, don't try to auto-login as Administrator, as it does not allow logging in as Administrator from Normal mode. http://windowsxp.mvps.org/autologon.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "midwest_steve" <midweststeve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DA842EC1-57A9-425A-B972-425CEF672FEA@microsoft.com...
    Whenever I boot XP Home SP2, or come out of stand by mode, I have a screen
    that says "to begin click your user name". I'd like to automatically logon
    to this computer every time with a specified user. How can I eliminate this
    step?

    I should add that, although I'm running SP2, this problem doesn't seem to be
    related to SP2. I did recently install Norton Ghost 9.0, and while the
    problem did start after that install, I can't say for 100% certainty that
    it's related to Ghost, although I think it probably is.

    Thanks,

    Steve

Configuration Windows XP